INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 install wizard freezes  (Read 1595 times)

gabrieldekock

MC 23 install wizard freezes
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:55:32 pm »

I have downloaded MC23, paid etc.  But the install freezes every time when it is supposed to copy and register files. HELP!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 23 install wizard freezes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:54:01 pm »

Problems like this are usually related to antivirus or other "security" software.

gabrieldekock

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:06 pm »

I have Norton.  Windows Defender is off already and I turned off all the Norton features.  Same problem.  Installer not responding

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:22:46 pm »

Make sure Norton isn't in "Silent" mode then try to install again. Then you should get popups telling you if Norton is blocking something. Allow those and Norton will learn to let such things happen. Then the install should complete.

I keep Silent mode turned off in Norton for just this reason, as every now and then I can get caught out with a new version of MC or other software suddenly not working, because Norton has blocked it or one of its components.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

gabrieldekock

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:51:54 pm »

Hi, thank you very much for the suggestion.  But my Norton was not in silent mode and there were no pop-ups suggesting anything was being blocked.  The install wizard just does nothing, and when I click anywhere in the wizard window it tells me that it has stopped responding.  As an added precaution I used scanned the MediaCenter230048.exe file with Norton and it got a clean bill of health.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:21:11 pm »

Are you using an Administrator Account on Windows? It shouldn't matter. I use a non-Administrator Account on my HTPC and it works fine. The installation program just asks for Administrator credentials (User/Password) to run. You could try right clicking the installation program and selecting "Run as Administrator".

If that doesn't work, and you don't have lots of custom rules in Norton, you could try Resetting the firewall in the Norton Settings. That will mean Norton has to re-learn what is allowed, so would probably be a bit annoying, but it is easier than going through all the rules and logs to try and find any issues.

As the problem happens when the installation tries to copy and register files it is likely to be a permissions or access issue. Hence Firewall, Virus Scanner, Malware software, or User permissions.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:43:51 am »

Uninstall Norton.  Disabling it may not be enough.  It's the only way to find out if Norton is the cause.
Pages: [1]   Go Up