INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer Setting  (Read 3401 times)

Ed_0031

Subwoofer Setting
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »

Hi everyone wasn't sure where to put this topic.  Please move if this is wrong place.

So I here is my setup which I will describe. My primary usage is lossless music and internet like Youtube.  I do not use for any movie or TV watching except on occasion if I don't feel like firing up my main Home Theatre system for watching Netflix while eating dinner or something.   But my basic question is how do I set the subwoofer settings in JRiver based on how my speakers are connected?  From what I can tell from playing with the Room Correction DSP sub settings it doesn't seem to affect the sub.  If I play with the Sub crossover on the left/right speaker settings this does affect the sub.  The subs physical settings I have Input Sensitivity set to -10dBV,  Volume just below Max and Crossover is set to XLF. 

In the "room correction" settings for the sub it seems like the sub distance and volume settings don't do anything.  Is this because of the way my sub is connected to the DAC?  Since it's not really getting a dedicated LFE signal.  It's just left/right from the RCA to XLR.  So if I want to properly set level with a dB meter how could I adjust the sub?  It seems fine for now sound wise to my ears, but I can't help but feel the sub is a bit off because of this.

On the Output format settings.  I tried switching back and forth the mixing setting from none to JRSS and this too didn't seem to have any affect.  I'm guessing because of the way the sub is connected.

Please tell me if I need to clarify anything that is confusing in my explanation.

Signal Chain as follows:
Destktop PC -> JDLS Labs Element (USB)/ JDS labs ASIO driver -> RCA to XLR to JBL LSR310s From Element DAC -> XLR to XLR from Sub to Swan T200C power Speakers.

The Speakers sit on top of my desk about 3 ft apart.  Sub is underneath the desk. 

JRiver Settings are as follows

Output Format:

- Output Encoding : None
- Sample Rate       : 96000 Hz depending on Song
- Channels            : 2.0
- Mixing                : Disabled

Equalizer

- Flat setting

Room Correction

-Left Speaker        :                            Distance = 2.7 Ft
 & Right Speaker                                 Volume =  +0.0 dB
 Settings applied to both speakers        Bass Management - Crossover at 40Hz
                                                         Routing Sent to sub

Sub:  Distance 3.7ft
Volume  +0.0dB
Crossover is grayed out

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
Re: Subwoofer Setting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 06:23:05 am »

Unless I'm missing something, you're saying the subwoofer and speakers share the same audio signal. As in a L+R stereo output from the DAC goes into the sub, then the powered speakers plug into the L+R output of the sub? I'm sorry to say it but you're running 2 channels of audio when you need to be running 3 ie you need a sound card, dac or amplifier receiver capable of providing at least 2.1 channels of output. Sure you can manually adjust the volume on the back of the sub but to put is simply there is no easy way of controlling the subwoofer output from within JRiver without affecting the speakers when the sub and speakers share the SAME output. Also adjusting the subwoofer channel in room correction when you're running 2.0 channels does nothing as you effectively have the lfe/subwoofer channel within JRiver disabled.

If however you have an audio device that is capable of running a 2.1 channel output, then you really want the subwoofer running on a dedicated LFE channel. Then your room correction dsp options will start working properly. Speaking from experience I run a 2.1 channel system myself, i have my subwoofer set to full range and room correction deals with all the bass management, crossovers and bass redirection. Bass sounds 10x cleaner when the speakers and sub aren't trying to play the same frequency, not to mention the crossover in most subs is average at best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up