INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: 64 bit version of JRiver Media Center  (Read 76924 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: 64 bit version of JRiver Media Center
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:16:46 pm »

It's out now, in the regular build thread near the top of this board.  Look for a thread titled something like this:  JRiver Media Center 23.0.60 -- Available Here
Please read the warning before downloading. 
For license questions, please read Restoring a License.

-----------------

The new 64 bit version is 5 to 15% faster than the 32 bit "standard" version, and it can address more memory.  Features are identical.

Please post any questions here.

A 64 bit version of MC requires a 64 bit version of Windows.  Check under Control Panel > System or About.  Most installations of Windows have been 64 bit for a few years.  There is no harm in trying if you're uncertain.  A 32 bit OS will tell you it can't install.

The first couple of builds didn't pick up the settings or license from the 32 bit version.  These should be working now.

Back up from the 32 bit version, uninstall it, then install the 64 bit version.

Update channels should be working, so once you install the 64 bit version, you will receive the updates for it automatically.

If you use plug-ins, you will need to use 64 bit plug-ins with the 64 bit version.

RD James

Re: NEW: 64 bit version
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »

The first couple of builds didn't pick up the settings or license from the 32 bit version.  These should be working now.
23.0.57 did not pick up the license from my 32-bit install.
I had a currently-active key that I was able to use to activate it though.
Settings, zones etc. all imported correctly.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:27:27 pm »

I had a currently-active key that I was able to use to activate it though.
Settings, zones etc. all imported correctly.

Just now downloaded and installed.....mine did not pick up the registration either.... I have a 23 master license.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »

This is working as designed for now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »

Working here too.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »

Working here too.
Whoops... Spoke too soon. Registration info was not picked up, shows as not registered.

Re-entering registration info resolved the problem.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 03:55:18 pm »

I'm very impressed with the 64-bit version. I haven't run benchmarks yet, but aside from having to load in 64-bit VSTs - which even retained the same settings for most plugins - the change to 64-bit has been very uneventful. And that should be taken as high praise indeed.
I can now play 4K videos with SVP interpolation, or 8K60 videos without Media Center crashing!

Could [App Version] report something like "23.0.57 (x64)" for the 64-bit build? That would make it a lot easier to identify when testing.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »

I'm confused.

Jim said to post all 64 bit questions here yet I see many 64 bit questions posted to the regular (32 bit) web page (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112286.0.html).

Would be nice to have one location for each or both in one.

Which one should we use?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:16 pm »

You could post here.  Don't worry about every little detail yet.  We know there are a few rough spots.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:55:56 am »

Didn't pick up registration on any of my 3 installs. Can't sync iPod or Android handhelds. They don't show up under devices.  Redetecting drives didn't help.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 03:09:14 am »

Didn't pick up registration on any of my 3 installs.

Its not supposed to.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 04:16:34 am »

First thing I noticed, and not necessarily 64 bit related but in this new version the tv channel change is so much better.

Nice clean and quick change, one channel stops and the other starts. Great improvement, well done Yaobing!

Everything else working great for me so far.....

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 06:43:33 am »

Whooha ! x64 YES !

Another milestone for JRiver, congrats !

Changing TV channels is very much improved with this version, incl the x86 version. Now its behaviour is as it should be :-)

All my settings came also perfect with the installer.
Engen commands are also working.

Average speed went up with some percentages. Audio buffering seems also better/faster.

-Not sure it's a x64 or a general build version:
But since i've updated now all my 3 machines to the last x64 build i've noticed some issue with tags not getting filled when ripping audio-cd's.
I've tried several discs and none have been completed on tag writing.

Another thing i'm checking, ISO's won't start anylonger.
I've tested some BR rips, none starts.

Thanks to all @ JRiver !

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 08:31:33 am »

I moved to MC 64 bit in two PCs. In the first PC I followed your recommended procedure to install the 64 bit version before uninstalling the 32 bit one. After uninstalling the 32 bit version, all shotcuts were lost. I had to uninstall and install again and this procedure bough the shortcuts back. Simply reinstalling over without uninstalling first did not work.
In the second PC I backed up the library and settings and then uninstalled the 32 bit version. I had MC22 too and I also uninstalled it. After uninstalling all MC versions I had, I installed the MC23 64 bit version.

On all installations of MC23 64 bit the library and settings were restored, but not quite right. It did not pick the latest MC23 32 bit configuration, library and playlist. It looks like it picked them form some older installation or previous automatic backup. Problem fixed after restoring the backup I've done before installing the new version.

On the two PCs, after installing the 64 bit version for the first time, I had to reinstall the license.

My recommended migration procedure is the following:

1 - Backup library and settings (I backed up to a new folder I created in the root directory of a hard drive, not in the user folder);
2 - Uninstall the 32 bit version with all options unchecked (do not delete anything);
3 - Install 64 bit version;
4 - Restore library and settings;
5 - If necessary, reinstall the license.

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 08:36:30 am »

Another thing i'm checking, ISO's won't start anylonger.

SACD ISO works fine for me, on build 59.

DocLotus

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:34 am »

Installing both v57 & 59 caused a hard lockup on my running MC (playing music). Had to use Task Manager to shut down the running MC after which both installs continued on without further incident.

This has never been a problem before.

justsomeguy

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:21 pm »

I moved to MC 64 bit in two PCs. In the first PC I followed your recommended procedure to install the 64 bit version before uninstalling the 32 bit one. After uninstalling the 32 bit version, all shotcuts were lost. I had to uninstall and install again and this procedure bough the shortcuts back. Simply reinstalling over without uninstalling first did not work.
In the second PC I backed up the library and settings and then uninstalled the 32 bit version. I had MC22 too and I also uninstalled it. After uninstalling all MC versions I had, I installed the MC23 64 bit version.

On all installations of MC23 64 bit the library and settings were restored, but not quite right. It did not pick the latest MC23 32 bit configuration, library and playlist. It looks like it picked them form some older installation or previous automatic backup. Problem fixed after restoring the backup I've done before installing the new version.

On the two PCs, after installing the 64 bit version for the first time, I had to reinstall the license.

My recommended migration procedure is the following:

1 - Backup library and settings (I backed up to a new folder I created in the root directory of a hard drive, not in the user folder);
2 - Uninstall the 32 bit version with all options unchecked (do not delete anything);
3 - Install 64 bit version;
4 - Restore library and settings;
5 - If necessary, reinstall the license.

This is probably the best way of upgrading it.

I too though installed 64bit first then uninstalled 32bit after. Another problem created by doing it this way is that MC23.exe is removed from System32 after uninstalling 32bit. It can be fixed however by just re-running the installer for 64bit.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:01 am »

I just installed 64 bit build 59 and it's looking good. However I tried CTR-J check for updates, and it returned "error checking for updates". I don't know if that's an issue or just a temporary thing with your server..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 10:06:44 am »

If you're on stable channel then it will do that because there just isn't any version released there yet. On latest or beta it should be fine.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:59 am »

^
That was it. Thanks.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 10:58:16 am »

On the 32 bit version, I was never really convinced of any point or benefit in using the OpenGL option for TheaterView. But I thought I would just try it on the 64 bit version, and it seems to be much snappier.

This may be just a random impression, and I have certainly not attempted to do a proper four way 32/64 bit versus OpenGL/Regular set of comparisons. However I suppose that OpenGL may indeed be optimized for a 64 bit environment. Or??

Trumpetguy

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 02:24:02 pm »

Worked like charm, watched a movie tonight without noticing any difference what so ever. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

Sidenote: As long as license does not work you should probably not write so specifically that one should first install 64-bit, then uninstall 32-bit version in the OP.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 03:48:11 pm »

Check test of Open GL in Theaterview.  Smoother than it was in 32 bit.  Still get some stuttering (at which point the CPU & GPU jump from 5%ish utilisation to 15-20% each for a couple of seconds).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
Re: NEW: 64 bit version of JRiver Media Center
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 06:07:11 pm »

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped us with the transition to the new 64 bit version.  Thanks for helping answer so many questions, for pointing out the flaws, and for your patience.  You've helped make it a pleasant experience for most everyone.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »

Hats off the to JR team as well!  Quick responses both in posts and code changes.  Has been a lot of fun over the weekend.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:24 pm »

Indeed, a job well done by all concerned, both JRiver and customers.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 10:37:34 pm »

Check test of Open GL in Theaterview.  Smoother than it was in 32 bit.  Still get some stuttering (at which point the CPU & GPU jump from 5%ish utilisation to 15-20% each for a couple of seconds).
I just tested it here, and the OpenGL version performs significantly worse than D3D9 for me. GPU usage was 3-4x higher and it was dropping frames/stalling all over the place when scrolling through a big list of items with page up/down.

However this has caused another problem to occur on my system:
After switching back to the D3D9 renderer, it's now locked to 60 FPS when it was previously running at 100 FPS. (100Hz display)
It seems to ignore the framerate setting altogether now. If I set it to 30, it still runs at 60. The OpenGL renderer also ignores the framerate setting, but still runs at 100 FPS.

EDIT: To clarify, this is Theater View's framerate, video playback is fine.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 04:56:51 am »

Noticed this morning the same thing. Without knowing the cause,

Since the latest build/x64 the framerates aren't updated anylonger when switching 'source'.
I did checked my settings - which aren't changed lately - as before everything was smooth.

After playing a 24f/sec movie i switched to Television.
TV was output' seemed as 24f/sec = shuttering.
Then switched to a PAL DVD and still on 24f/sec.
My screen' OSD confirmed me 24f/sec and not switching.

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 11:37:35 am »

Well, the x64 seems to work quite flawlessly.

However, I just encountered a bug that I think might be relateable to the x64 version. When MC found an update and I clicked on the button, it said something like MC23.exe not found in system32. When I closed MC and restarted it, it just updated itself like it usually does.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 11:45:55 am »

oh this just happend to me. I did not have the sense to close MC and reopen, I just did a manual download....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:11 pm »

I am seeing v high cpu usage when viewing the analyser in DSP studio to the extent that asio line in playback immediately starts crackling whenever I look at analyser. This didn't happen with the 32bit build though I'd need to reinstate a 32bit version of .60 to be sure of that.

JoeBoxster

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »

Hi,

I have both 32 and 64 bit installed. Dolby 5.1 works on 32 bit, but gives a Playback Problem error on 64 bit. Any suggestions?

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 01:49:02 pm »

AFAIK, Dolby Digital encoding isn't available in the 64-bit builds yet.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:28 pm »

I have both 32 and 64 bit installed. Dolby 5.1 works on 32 bit, but gives a Playback Problem error on 64 bit. Any suggestions?

AFAIK, Dolby Digital encoding isn't available in the 64-bit builds yet.

That is correct. It is why I am still using 32bit on my HTPC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mark Tandy

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:51 pm »

Where is "the regular build thread"?  I can't find the 64 bit version to download.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 08:01:41 pm »

It's near the top of this board.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 08:37:29 pm »

Great news about the 64 bit version.

My home automation totally depends on the "Playing Now" plugin, and I seem to remember JRiver purchased the rights to that plug in ?

Does anyone know if a new 64 bit version of the "Playing Now" plug in will be available ?

patman

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 10:02:24 pm »

Tried the 64 bit version for first time tonight using version 23.0.60. Not showing as licensed - had licensed 23.0.48 32 bit version already installed. Channel changing appears faster - that will make the wife happy.

Spike1000

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »

Tried the 64 bit version for first time tonight using version 23.0.60. Not showing as licensed - had licensed 23.0.48 32 bit version already installed.
This is by design. You'll need to restore a licence to activate the 64 bit version.

Spike

manop

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:03 am »

This is by design. You'll need to restore a licence to activate the 64 bit version.

Spike

? ? ?

Spike1000

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 01:21:06 am »

? ? ?
Which part confuses you? The:
Design? - I'm only echoing comments made in other threads you may have missed.
Restoring a license? - This is a simple and routine operation http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jriver+restoring+a+license
:) :) :)
Spike

franswilco

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 01:40:35 am »

Awesome work, guys!

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 02:04:33 am »

where i can get it? cant find in https://www.jriver.com/download.html
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

kpberg

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 02:12:29 am »

Unfortenately new version 23.0.60 did not pick up the license from my 32-bit installation.
I only saw the standard text for a 30 days try license.
So I had to copy the activation key into clipboard and activate JRiver accordingly.
However this reduced my amount of valid license restore possibilities:
"You have recently restored a licence for Media Center 23 Windows. There are 10 restores available in each 12 month period. There are 8 restores remaining at this time."  :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2017, 02:45:58 am »

where i can get it? cant find in https://www.jriver.com/download.html

At the top of this board. Both the 32bit and the 64bit versions are included in the one thread. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,53.0.html

Damn, Spike beat me again!

Unfortenately new version 23.0.60 did not pick up the license from my 32-bit installation.

A well documented requirement for a new installation of the 64bit version. Just read a couple of posts up.

However this reduced my amount of valid license restore possibilities:
"You have recently restored a licence for Media Center 23 Windows. There are 10 restores available in each 12 month period. There are 8 restores remaining at this time."  :(

So what? You have 8 restores left. And that is just in this year. The count gets reset each year. I used my first restore when installing the 64bit, ever I think, and I've been using MC for four years. Aside from that, if you ever run out of restores, just post a thread in the forum and ask for the restore count to be reset. I haven't ever seen such a request denied.

Note also that when you restore your licence an email will be sent to you containing an "mjr" licence file. That is valid for 14 days and can be used to install a licence on your other PCs, or to restore a licence multiple times on the same PC, within the 14 days.

It couldn't be easier, if you read the instructions, or more generous, really.

udayan

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2017, 04:02:09 am »

Hello,

I am currently using MC21 and can't read 4K HEVC encoded movies which is a pity considering the fact that VLC is able to play these movies.

I gave a try to the 64 bits version this morning. I was hoping that MC23/64 will be able to playback 4K HEVC encoded movies on my system.

The result of my attempt has been an immediate crash of MC23/64. I don't know if this is due to a weakness of my config or to MC...

Is someone able to play 4K/HEVC movies with MC ?

Udayan

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 06:42:57 am »

Not sure if we post issues here or not since it says to post questions. I didn't see any place for problems to be posted for the x64 version.

Just added a new movie and went to pull up cover (Get from Internet) and the box is blank with no line to make sure the title is correct or anything. What does come up is the main Get Cover Art box and that's it.

See attached image.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 06:55:16 am »

Cover Art -> Get From Internet isn't typically available for movies at all. What kind of files do you have there?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:05 am »

Cover Art -> Get From Internet isn't typically available for movies at all. What kind of files do you have there?

Right click on movie/get from internet not cover art/get from internet although they may lead to the same thing. lol

I've been doing these same steps since MC 17-18. They are mainly *.mp4 with a few *.mkv mixed in. Was working in the x86 version of MC 23 just fine. Without doing this my movies don't have cover art and are just a partial screen grab of the start of each movie.

UPDATE!!

Odd I just went back in again and right clicked on the same movie and the top option was different (probably what I'm used to all the time) "Get Movie and TV info" which it was able to find the info and cover art once I renamed the Movie as usual removing periods that are somehow hard coded into the file since the actual files always get renamed to remove the periods and other info before moving them to their respective resting places on my server for playing.

I guess the program was just glitching and wasn't showing the proper menu select as if it was thinking the selection was a audio file or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up