INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux and Android native support on the same device  (Read 1541 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Linux and Android native support on the same device
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »

This looks interesting, it runs a very optimized debian linux XFCE desktop and Android marshmallow natively.

Anyone have an ODroid C2 to try this with?

https://volkspc.org/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Linux and Android native support on the same device
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:29:58 pm »

This looks interesting, it runs a very optimized debian linux XFCE desktop and Android marshmallow natively.

Anyone have an ODroid C2 to try this with?

https://volkspc.org/

I don't know if you've ever messed around with "Linux Deploy" or similar android apps but you can have a chrooted linux userland on your android devices in half an hour with existing apps.  The current solutions just have abysmal graphics performance.

This looks like they're doing a variation on the linux-userland-in-a-chroot approach, but it also looks like it has some limitations (no graphics accel on the linux side and no QT5 apps).

AFAIK the odroid devices all run both android and linux, but it's usually a dual boot situation which is not entirely ideal, so this might be a value add if it's really that much faster than Linux Deploy.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Linux and Android native support on the same device
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:37 am »

I don't know if you've ever messed around with "Linux Deploy" or similar android apps but you can have a chrooted linux userland on your android devices in half an hour with existing apps.  The current solutions just have abysmal graphics performance.

This looks like they're doing a variation on the linux-userland-in-a-chroot approach, but it also looks like it has some limitations (no graphics accel on the linux side and no QT5 apps).

AFAIK the odroid devices all run both android and linux, but it's usually a dual boot situation which is not entirely ideal, so this might be a value add if it's really that much faster than Linux Deploy.
I have done that linux on android chroot before. It seemed like more of a novelty than anything, it wasn't terribly useful to me.

Supposedly the stripped XServer they are running is highly optimized which is what made me curious...
Pages: [1]   Go Up