INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists Don't Show Up On iPod  (Read 4643 times)

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Playlists Don't Show Up On iPod
« on: June 29, 2003, 10:40:49 am »

Hi, I never have used playlists, but thought I'd make a couple to put a few favorite songs.  I went into EDIT, and added two new playlists, one called CHRIS MUSIC and one called Summer Music, and added a 10 to songs to the first and 52 to the second.  I then added them to my iPod, which has no other music on it.  The music was added (along with correct titles, etc.) but not the playlist names in the playlist window on my iPod.

I also have two other questions.  

1:  Is the iPod not meant to be plugged back in and "added" to?  All of my music is lost when I re-plug in the iPod, although the memory is correctly deccreased.  I've complained about this before, but have not be satisfactorily answered.  I mean why would it sometimes happen, and sometimes not?  I don't do anything differently.

2: Must I always "restore"?  Can't I just reformat in MC9?  I seem to lose a little memory when I merely format - I get about 16.5 when I should have about 18.9 or somehting for the 20GB.

Thank you, Christopher Bradley

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Playlists Don't Show Up On iPod
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 06:09:28 am »

On your first question, make sure that you're sync'ing the playlist and not just sending the contents of the playlist to the ipod.  - right click on the ipod icon, select synchronise, and then select the playlists from the dialog box.

I don't fully understand questions 1 and 2.  Yes, the iPod is meant to be added to - you don't have to start from the beginning each time.  If you've plugged in your ipod and MC isn't showing your files then

(a) check to see if you have "Show all files" or  "Show queued files" selected - from the top of the right click menu.  If you are showing all files, but they're still not appearing, try:

(b) Rebuild database from ipod, also from the right click menu.  This should read whatever data is on the iPod and rebuild the database in MC from what it finds.

Not absolutely sure about the next bit, but: You should only need to format from MC if you want to start with an empty music library.  You should only need to do a full restore if something seems to have gone wrong with the iPod - i.e. it's a full system restore.

Hope this helps

KC

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 06:47:39 am »

Right click and sync, gee, that came out of left field.  Is there a list where more COMPLETE instructions exsist?

I wonder, is the iPod not meant to be plugged in and added to?  My q is just that.  Next week, new songs, want to add.  HOW?  Plug in and add. MC9 shows different amount or NO music every time plugged in.  Are we meant to reformat each time?  I have printed and followed ADAM SHAWLEY's instructions very close, but often, the iPod is corrupted when adding.  And your claim that reformatting works - well, every time you reformat, you lose space.  Beginning should be 18.5GB approx, about 16. GB when formatted.

Is there a complete printable formal instruction list that comes directly from MC9?  Thanks, CMB

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 06:50:31 am »

Also, I'm reporting to you that #2 of my original post is an acurately written comment on the reality of my situation.  Understand it as written.  There is nothing hidden.  I DO NOT HAVE THE FULL AMOUNT OF SPACE WHEN I FORMAT WITH MC9.  I am reporting that as a reality.  THANKS!!! CMB

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 09:17:46 am »

Christopher,

Right click and sync, gee, that came out of left field.  Is there a list where more COMPLETE instructions exsist?

Yes, there is a link to it in the first post of the iPod support thread. Adam's instructions are well written and the best we have.

You can add files to the iPod either through synchronization or by dropping the files directly on the iPod. You can also move whole playlists to the iPod by dropping a playlist on the iPod icon.

In regards to your Formatting issue, how much space does Windows report you have? We should be consistent with that report. There are different ways for reporting the number of bytes in a MB and this can account for the difference. We report the same way as Windows.

Please post additional comments to the main iPod thread. If you are still unclear about something ask there and others can help.

You do not need to reformat your iPod everytime and yes you can add files.

I will close this thread now.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up