INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature request] Link similar tracks  (Read 1538 times)

Axedall

• Recent member
[Feature request] Link similar tracks
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:58:25 pm »

In a nutshell: Link similar/same tracks with different versions (ie. Live, demo, acoustic, remixes, different stages of career, etc…) so that when included in a smart list one random version of the track is included (or maybe customizable?) instead of all of them being included and over-represented in the play list.
I have a fairly large music library for which I have taken the time to rate all tracks using the star system. 

5 = would listen to any time any mood;
4 = generally happy to listen to but might occasionally skip;
3 = unsure and will need to listen to again, or may listen to under some circumstances
2 = would never listen to;
1 = duplicate track rated in different album, has special qualities that I might use in specific circumstances but not to be included on smartlists

I prefer to listen to my music using a master smart list that includes all tracks in my library with a 4 star or higher rating.   For most artists I have their entire discographies, which results in many tracks having multiple versions. Many of these are variations that I enjoy and would like to have included in my master list; however, the problem arises that for tracks like this they simply end up getting played far too often because of the variations being included as individual entities.  It would be nice if there was a way of linking such tracks together so that they all represented one entity and the smart list randomly picked a variation of the entity whenever it naturally gets included in the smart list.

I imagine this would also be a very useful feature for people who focus their library on classical music with tracks played by different musicians/conductors and likely other situations I haven’t thought of.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: New feature request: Link similar tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:03:00 pm »

I think you can already do this....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:18 pm »

Axedall

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »

I aware of the linked tracks feature, but that is completely different and would not provide the functionality that I am looking for. Linked tracks makes it so that all tracks 'linked' together always play together. This is actually the opposite of what I am looking for! Unless there is some aspect of this feature that I have overlooked.

Axedall

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:57 pm »

Does this seem like a feature that anyone else would consider useful or is it just me? :p
Pages: [1]   Go Up