INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just an experiment (looking for feedback)  (Read 1919 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
Just an experiment (looking for feedback)
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:31:09 pm »

I just tried mapping my OneDrive as a network drive (\\d.docs.live.net\xxxxxxxxxxxxx) and then used MC to pull and stream lossless music (APE) from it.

The cool thing is that it works and that the stream goes without any hiccups, but playback initiation takes a minute, all but eliminating gapless transitions. Playback is preceded with a window that says "Spinning up drive..." for about twenty seconds to a minute.

Perhaps I need gigabit speeds for something like this? Or is it some issue on Microsoft's end per its infrastructure as a service?

What do you guys make of this?

RD James

Re: Just an experiment (looking for feedback)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:03:56 am »

Are you using the memory playback feature at all?
You may find that network playback is better with the feature disabled, as the player does not queue tracks in advance, and loading them into memory allows the connection to sleep.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:14 am »

More so are you using memory playback by ALBUM. This loads the whole Album into memory which could slow stuff down

Its in Options>Audio>Settings>Memory Playback

Try it with nothing , or by track if its by Album

Mike

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:14:59 am »

If you are going to listen to a whole album, why not take the loading hit at the beginning and load the whole thing into memory? After that it should be flawless, even gapless. It would be interesting to know how long a wait there is to load the whole album into memory.

Goatshade

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »

Memory playback is disabled. Would I choose Load full file (not decoded) into memory, or Load decoded file into memory?

audioriver

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:16:12 pm »

If you select any of those options, then you are enabling memory playback. If you want to load the full album into memory as suggested by dtc, there's only one option for that - Load full album (not decoded) into memory. If you don't see that option, you probably need to update to the latest version of MC.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Goatshade

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:28 pm »

Mmm, all right.

I have been holding off due to financial issues, but I guess this is a good excuse to upgrade to MC23--and probably a master licence, since I plan to experiment with Linux distros for an old machine or two.

Back in a minute.

Goatshade

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:07 pm »

...That was a long minute. I'm sorry.

I tried it with MC64 and with the album option selected, but it didn't do much to mitigate the problem. Initial play-back does take longer, as expected, but track changes are not gapless, and indeed, cause a hang in much the same way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up