INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which usb port ...2.0 or 3.0 for Audioengine D1 usb DAC?  (Read 4525 times)

Huck

• Recent member
Which usb port ...2.0 or 3.0 for Audioengine D1 usb DAC?
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:52:26 am »

I have a HP Pavillion Windows 10 desktop and am using a Audioengine D1 usb dac to run my powered speakers and headphones via usb cable.
I have 5 usb ports,2 in front and 3 in the rear...not sure which ones are 2.0 or 3.0...so would it make any difference in audio quality when ripping c.d's which port is used to power my D1?
Also are usb color coded to show which ones are 2.0 or 3.0? Thanks,Huck

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which usb port ...2.0 or 3.0 for Audioengine D1 usb DAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:47 am »

USB3 are usually the blue colored ones, while USB2 are the black ones. Using USB2 results in more deeper blacks in the ripped music (just kidding).

Huck

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:18:32 am »

USB3 are usually the blue colored ones, while USB2 are the black ones. Using USB2 results in more deeper blacks in the ripped music (just kidding).

Not sure if you were playing with me originally ;) as you can probably can tell from my questions  that I am a newbie,but would there be any audio difference,good or bad on playback when ripping c.d.'s on JRiver when using either usb port,2.0 or 3.0 for output to the DAC? Thanks,Huck

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:42:21 am »

No, I do not know of any differences regarding audio quality. The only difference (next to the obvious speed increase) I know of, is that the USB3 ports get powered a bit later than the USB2 ports when booting (at least it was this way many moons ago). Googling "USB2 USB3 audio" might give you more insight.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:03:27 pm »

USB 3 has more amps available per port. If your DAC is powered off the USB port you might want USB 3.

Huck

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:47 am »

USB 3 has more amps available per port. If your DAC is powered off the USB port you might want USB 3.

Thanks...I will try the 3.0 port.
So these different ports (2.0,3.0) are mainly for faster charging of phones,etc and faster data transfer of files,but nothing to do with audio quality..correct?. Huck

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 04:08:02 pm »

Correct. As long as the port can pass the data quickly enough then it makes no difference. And for audio files, USB 2 is plenty quick enough. USB 3 is just the natural progression to faster data transfer. Have a look at USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt for the next standards...
Pages: [1]   Go Up