INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTU LP32 for 7.1ch... $1000 Processor/DAC Solution?  (Read 2020 times)

sc999

• Recent member
MOTU LP32 for 7.1ch... $1000 Processor/DAC Solution?
« on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:11 pm »

Hey has anyone checked this new MOTU product out?

http://motu.com/products/avb/lp32

Maybe get one of these plus 4 x Schiit Modi DACs via Toslink? For around $1000 that would almost definitely beat the sound quality of a surround processor and be way more future proof. This way you can just upgrade the DACs as technology evolves, so you can just keep the LP32 and your power amp(s). Better yet just use a more expensive dac for your 2 main stereo channels then use Modis for your Center/sub/Surround/rear channels.

You could also add another LP32 unit and add more channels to go crazy with ATMOS or DTS:X or whatever.

Why spend big $ on a processor like the $25,000 JBL Synthesis SDP-75 when you can have a few LP32s linked to a laptop and the DACs of your choosing.

I use an exasound E18 now but the above solution intrigues me.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: MOTU LP32 for 7.1ch... $1000 Processor/DAC Solution?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:22:54 pm »

I use the MOTU 1248 with its 10 channels of output. If you want more channels, one can add another 1248 via a network cable for 20 channels or purchase the MOTO 24AO for 24 channels of output. Getting the LP32 for using other external DAC's seems rather cumbersome. The Schiit Modi DAC's have very little output voltage and would easily clip in any system I design.

The JBL SDP-75 (which is made by Trinnov) is actually able to decode Atmos or DTS:X. You can't do that on your laptop or other computer.

If I was starting over again and wanted Atmos, I would probably just use the Yamaha CX-A5100 as my DAC and Atmos/DTS:X decoder.

sc999

• Recent member
Re: MOTU LP32 for 7.1ch... $1000 Processor/DAC Solution?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »

yeah i guess the problem is the Motus use the relatively older ESS9016 chip. DAC tech changes fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up