INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clip Protection vs. Flatline  (Read 5522 times)

PPaulson

Clip Protection vs. Flatline
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:58:34 am »

I have been enjoying JR since June, recently I started tinkering with the sound because something didn't sound right to my ears on my main system. It sounded like certain frequencies were being cutoff especially treble and bass therefore curtailing their impact this is in Clip Protection Mode. I engage the Tone Controls on my Pre-Amp but leave them at zero gain and use the Equalizer in JRiver as MC
In Flatline the music to me sounds more lively but certain frequencies distort especially in the newer music where the  loudness is bumped up.
Is there a solution maintain Tone Control (treble and bass) without it being cutoff or distort on all files.
Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Clip Protection vs. Flatline
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:07 am »

There are multiple solutions for this, but you should never disable Clipping Protection.

For one thing, all digital controls should be used as negative adjustments. I'd actually be surprised if JRiver doesn't normalize that behind the scenes.
What that means is, instead of boosting Bass +6dB, you would reduce Treble -6dB.
The effect is the same, but it won't clip/distort.

I'd also strongly recommend that you run audio analysis on your library - which may take some time if none of your files are analyzed.
You have to select all your tracks, and then use: Tools > Library Tools > Analyze Audio.
Once your tracks are analyzed, enable Volume Leveling in DSP Studio.
This should generally provide you with more headroom for DSP, and ensures that inter-sample clipping is also avoided, not just sample-based clipping.
You should also change the dither mode to TPDF rather than JRiver Dither if using Volume Leveling. Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Dither Mode.

PPaulson

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »

Thanks RD, I'll give your suggestions a try
Paul

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:52:48 pm »

What about Adaptive volume? Enable or not?  Can you explain the dilther mode? What does it do and the difference between TPDF and JRiver Bit-exact Dilthering? Thanks.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:48:53 am »

What about Adaptive volume? Enable or not?  Can you explain the dilther mode? What does it do and the difference between TPDF and JRiver Bit-exact Dilthering? Thanks.
I would not use adaptive volume.
Setting dither to TPDF will eliminate distortion with volume or DSP adjustments.

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:02 pm »

^^ Thanks. Is there a reason not using jriver dilthering?

RD James

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:04:57 am »

^^ Thanks. Is there a reason not using jriver dilthering?
It will distort with volume or DSP changes.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:33 am »

It will distort with volume or DSP changes.

Thats quite the misrepresentation. The dithering doesn't distort or cause distortions. The distortions are in the original signal and come from quantization. Dithering hides them by adding noise, some add stronger noise and hide more distortions, some use weaker noise and let minor distortions through. But both of those effects (noise and distortions) are at extremely low volume levels.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 11:15:18 pm »

Thats quite the misrepresentation. The dithering doesn't distort or cause distortions. The distortions are in the original signal and come from quantization. Dithering hides them by adding noise, some add stronger noise and hide more distortions, some use weaker noise and let minor distortions through. But both of those effects (noise and distortions) are at extremely low volume levels.
A proper TPDF implementation (full strength) does not allow for distortion. RPDF can only reduce distortion, not eliminate it.
The analog-like noise from TPDF dither is vastly preferable to digital distortion.

Severity of distortion increases the lower the volume is, but it distorts at all levels.
TPDF should be the default in Media Center, while "bit exact" dither should be renamed if not removed, as the name is misleading - it implies that it is the higher quality option.

Perhaps a new "auto" setting that uses "bit exact" dither when playback is at 100% volume with no DSP, and TPDF under all other conditions would work as a default?

B999B

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 11:19:19 am »

Hey, My apologies to dig up an old thread but I would like some clarification please. Made an account just for this.

I use an add on called PKHarmonic in DSP to add Harmonic Distortion, specifically H2 and H4 at -110 dB and -130 dB respectively. Would changing to TPDF Dithering affect this at all? Or should I keep using JRiver Bit-Exact Dithering?

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up