INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver version 22 and 23 screen freeze and blank when playing video  (Read 3146 times)

tc1988

Hi,

I've been using JRiver and were very happy with the overall performance of the software.  I recently updated my MacBook Pro 2012 version to macOS High Sierra.  And now when I tried to use JRiver version 23 to play any video files, all I got is a blank screen and my Mac froze.  I re-installed my JRiver version 22 and tried to play videos files, JRiver hang and wouldn't even display a blank screen. 

Has anybody experienced the same issue?  Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver version 22 and 23 screen freeze and blank when playing video
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:59 pm »

Where are the files stored? What kind of files are they?

tc1988

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:34 pm »

Hi tyler69,

I keep those video and audio files on my MBP's internal hard disk.  Some files are from the videos I took with my iPhone, those are in .mov format, and some are in .mkv.  I've attached the mkv codec details below.  They all froze when I use JRiver to play.  But the funny thing is that I can use VLC to play them all and well. 

Plus, JRiver can still play audio/song files just fine.  Strange?!

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »

Wild guess: did you try playing an mkv with another audio codec than a52?

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:26:30 am »

Are you running the latest build?  Try going to Help / Update Channels / Check for Updates.
There was a video bug that was fixed a few builds ago.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

David593

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 03:10:26 am »

Hi

I think you have the same driver issue discussed in a thread below “video playback under high sierra” where a number of us with machines using an Nvidia discrete gpu of about the same age as yours experienced jriver freezing when video was played and the external gpu used after upgrading to high sierra on jriver versions 22 and 23. The only solution appears to be downgrading to Sierra. This isn’t going to be a long term solution for me however as at some point I will want to upgrade os. I just want to be able to play video on my Mac to a TV through hdmi as with an 8tb external drive, I have a lot of it! I love JRiver so hope there is a solution / Apple update the drivers if that is the issue. Updating the entire mac and then downgrading is a lot of faff if nothing has changed!

Rincewind

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:34 am »

Hi all,

I experience the same problem, MC23 and even MC24 early version freeze when playing any video files under MacOs High Sierra. OS downgrading is not an option for me either. Is there any other solution for the problem?

TIA!

BrownBear

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:16 pm »

Great to see more people having the same issue. As David593 mentioned, its probably related to the issue discussed here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112455.0.html
There is also a link to a tool which you can use to force you mac to use the integrated GPU which then helps JRiver. Note, this does not work if other apps requires the dedicated GPU and switched to it before starting JRiver.

Hope someone can figure out the issue and solve it since we are getting another OS update in a few months...

Rincewind

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »

Thank you for the information, the other thread describes the issue well. I also have an NVIDIA graphics card and are using the web driver.
Let's hope they - Apple/NVIDIA/JRiver - find a solution soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up