INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing compilations by track number, not artist name  (Read 1974 times)

kristian

• Recent member
Playing compilations by track number, not artist name
« on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »

Hello,

I have happily been using J River since 2010, and am now on 23. My only complaint has been every player's insistence on replaying compilation albums alphabetically by artist name, and not as it should be, by track number. I always have to go in and change the grouping on every compilation I play. This is really quite annoying.

How can JRiver be set such that compilation albums or always played by track number, and not by artist name?

Thanks,

Kristian

kristian

• Recent member
Re: Playing compilations by track number, not artist name
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:31:55 pm »

Anyone? Surely this must be a known issue with a cure...

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:36:21 pm »

No, it's not a common issue.  Mine have never done this

What views are you using?  Can you make a screenshot

kristian

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »

Screenshot--any help appreciated. Been driving me nutty for years. Everything ripped correctly with dBpoweramp--and thanks for any help!:

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »

you have the [album artist] set to the [artist].  i noticed your on-disc organisation is the same

not sure exactly what view that is - it's hard for me to replicate exactly to see if the tagging error can be worked around.  on the left tree, which view scheme are you choosing (or is it custom?)

traditionally, a compilation will have one [album artist] and then each track will have it's own [artist], but we would group by [album artist][album] so that each compilation appears as a normal album

kristian

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:41:33 pm »

Thanks for help. The left scheme is stock, un-changed, Album name view. Multiple-artist compilations are ripped in dB without one album artist, as there are multiple; I rip compilations as one album with multiple artists (which is correct). I would think it would be easy to get MC to display compilations by track number, but maybe not. No tagging errors that I can see--multiple artist compilations do not usually have one album artist, but several. And artists all show up correctly; just not organized by track number.

dB rips by artist/year/album/title.

Best,

Kristian

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »

we of course all do things in a way that makes sense to us, but i will say this:

- having multiple folders on your PC with a single album is NOT correct.  an album is a folder
- normally we would separate multiple album artists by a semi colon

[album artist] = Jackie Mclean; Andrew Hill; etc;

this makes the list be treated as a single unit (for display) but each individual will also appear in a search on it's own

anyways, there is a chance we can work around the display without changing tags, you'll have to play with a custom view though and maybe an expression to override the display options

kristian

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »

SNIP anyways, there is a chance we can work around the display without changing tags, you'll have to play with a custom view though and maybe an expression to override the display options

I have all my ripping organized by artist name; each artist has a folder, so I see what you mean. But, I would think it would be easy to have MC play compilations by track no. by default, so any work-around you can suggest would be great. Having "artist name" containing the names of each artist seems clunky to me, especially with 10-15 artists in one comp, and when this would have to be done by hand when ripping.

Thanks again-

Kristian

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »

my apologies, it's early here and the answer is simpler than i have made it out to be

tl;dr - select all the files in that album, and change the [album artist] tag to various artists, or multiple artists, etc. something like that.  just doing that will fix your problem i'm pretty sure

reason:  an album has to be defined.  [artist][album] isn't enough as compilations have many artists.  so MC can define an album in a few ways:

[album artist][album]
or
[artist][album] and all files are in the same folder (in this case, MC will assign Multiple Artists automatically to [album artist]

kristian

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:31:25 pm »

A belated thanks! for this; I just remembered my query, checked your last answer, implemented, and you're right!
Pages: [1]   Go Up