INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some music files do not copy from external drive  (Read 2042 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Some music files do not copy from external drive
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:26:16 pm »

I am running two separate but identical libraries on two different computers. I rip CDs on the one computer. To get files on to the other computer, I manually copy them on to that second machine's external drive, carry the drive over and plug it into the USB. The problem is that some of the songs, often track 2 for instance, do not import when the rest of the album is imported via auto-import. If I try to drag a missing track from Windows Explorer, it does not import then either. This all seems very strange. Any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some music files do not copy from external drive
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:25:15 pm »

Do all the tracks import on the first computer?
Do they all play?

If not, and bad rip of one track may be responsible. This sort of thing used to happen to some people on the last track, which was a problem with Auto Import starting before the rip completed. But I think I have read of the second track also being missed because it was bad. Check the above and see.

Also, if the one file won't import because it is bad, MC should be reporting it as bad. Is it?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:26 pm »

Everything imports and plays on the first computer. Nothing shows up as 'bad' on either machine. The file is sitting there on the external drive (visible in Windows 10 Explorer) of the second machine (after I copied everything over), but it did not get imported on to the second computer with the rest of the album. The rest of the album all works fine...there is just a missing song. And, then, dragging it manually from the external drive into MC23 does not make MC23 import it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »

If you run Auto Import manually, or import a single folder, the one holding the file, does MC report anything in the Detailed Report it produces?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »

possibly mistaged?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:05:30 pm »

When I drag a file and choose 'import', MC23 does not report that it has imported anything ('zero' report)...and no files is imported. It's strange that the file is sitting there with all the other music files for that album, but it refuses to be imported. And in several cases where it happened, it is the second song on the album.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:57:02 pm »

Very weird. But something similar has happened before.

The mistagged file question is a good one. Common with TV Shows that identified as Movies, or visa versa. Being Audio I can't imagine a file being identified incorrectly though, particularly as it has already ben imported into another library and works.

Is there any information in the Recently Imported Smartlist?
If you use the Files View under Audio, can you find the missing files? Drill down to the location and look. If you find a missing file, check the tag windows to see what Media and Sub Media Type it is.

BTW, what format are the files? MP3, FLAC, etc.
Are they the same as all the good files?
Will the file play using other Windows software, rather than MC?
Give me an example file name of a good file, and a bad file. In fact, the full path and filename of both, plus the same for the computer where the bad file works. Could path length be an issue?

Also, try running Auto Import manually rather than using Drag and Drop. Humour me on this one.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:52:00 am »

OK, I repeated the process...deleted an album from the 2nd computer, copied it on to the external hard drive from the first computer, connected the hard drive to the second computer, and still tracks 2 and 10 are not included in auto-import. Nor do they show up under Files, Nor under the Recently Imported smartlist. The files are all ALAC. (Note: I have been performing this procedure for the past two years with 3500 albums and no problem). I ran auto-import manually...it still misses two files from that same album. (it is happening on more than one album by the way), So basically the album file is sitting there on the external drive with all the songs and two of them refuse to import any way I try. I can't even drag and drop and do "Open with MC23" The file path would be the same/similar for all the songs I think.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 10:55:32 am »

I suppose the two files may be corrupt. Can you play them in MC via the File Open command?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:32:28 am »

They don't show up anywhere in MC. And they won't open from Windows Explorer with "Play in MC23". BUT they show up in MC23 and play fine on the first computer...in other words the files play on the computer that rips the CD but they refuse to be imported or to play on the second computer after I copy the files (via Windows Explorer) on to the second external drive (and I am only talking about only track 2 and track 10 from the album; all the other songs work fine)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 12:07:04 pm »

Perhaps the 2 files are being blocked (falsely) by your AV software??
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »

Not sure what you mean by AV software. I am only using JRMC23. I can't figure out why the songs play on the computer that rips the CD but not on the second computer. And the whole procedure works for all 35,000+ other songs in my library. It was only recently that auto-import started failing to import one or two songs from some albums (and it doesn't work manually either).

DJLegba

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 12:26:47 pm »

AV=antivirus

Is it possible your external hard drive is failing? If you are comfortable doing this, I'd try creating a new, empty library on the computer that is working properly, then manually importing one of the problematic folders from the external drive. You can always delete the test library after you're done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up