INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Location  (Read 1472 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
File Location
« on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:20 am »

Hi Guys,
I have installed the new v23 JRiver.
I restored my library but I am having a very annoying problem.
I use jriver on my desktop to edit files on my HTPC
I watch the folders on the HTPC from my desktop using mapped folders.
Problem is every time I start JRiver on my desktop I find that the backup library folder has changed from my prefered mapped drive to a local drive.
This never happened in version 21 could it be because it is using the old library?

any ideas please
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: File Location
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:24:46 am »

Is the mapped drive on a network share? If so, is the share drive going to sleep, or the hdd spinning down? If so then try to prevent that..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

maid

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:30:45 am »

Yes it is on a network. I did not have this issue with 21.
Also should remame the library to 23?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:43:46 am »

Just do one manual library backup from your workstation to the mapped network drive.

After that MC will remember where you want to put your manual backups.

MC should put automatic backups into the location specified in "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library backups". Check that setting.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

maid

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:27:34 pm »

Hi RoderickGI,
I have done many manual backups and set the library location in Options > File Location > Program Files > Library backups"

Yet it still changed the location again and again

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »

Okay re-reading that I suspect that the mapped network drive isn't available when you start MC on your workstation, so MC defaults back to a local drive.

If you believe that the HTPC is up and running, and therefore the mapped drive should be available, you will need to do some network diagnosis. You could just open Windows Explorer and check that the mapped drive is available before opening MC, even if just a few times to check that it is, and if the problem still occurs when it is.

BTW, when you say;
Also should remame the library to 23?

I assume you mean the sub-directory where library backups are stored by default. Something like "C:\Users\[UserID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 21\Library Backups" for MC21?

You should definitely not rename that sub-directory to "C:\Users\rgi\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 23\Library Backups", but if you look in "C:\Users\rgi\Documents\JRiver\" you see that there is already a "Media Center 23" sub-directory, and there should already be a "Library Backups" sub-directory of that. Just change the setting in MC File Locations to "C:\Users\rgi\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 23\Library Backups", and future automatic backups will go in there.

If you actually meant the name of the library itself as shown in MC, then yes, go ahead and rename it as you like. I don't put the version number in my library names as I like to keep them short but meaningful. I name them something like;

"[PC Name] [Local/Server] Library"

So I can see immediately if they are local or server-based libraries, and I add in stuff like "Direct IP" when it uses a direct connection, for example. After all, all the libraries in MC23 are MC23 libraries. I don't need that in the name. I separate the versions of MC library backups by the sub-directory structure above, so I can always get back to an earlier version if I need to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

maid

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »

thanks again very good tips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up