INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temporary files when playing videos  (Read 873 times)

dburkhard

Temporary files when playing videos
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:27:25 pm »

I have the temp directory set under Tools->Options->File Location->Program Files->Temporary files pointing to a RAM disk. This works great when the entire mkv file can fit into the RAM disk. If it can't, playback halts when the last file segment is played. I can see while playing a file and monitoring the temp directory that a numbered series of 128MB files are created. I also noticed that these temp files continue to accumulate until the RAM disk is full at which point playback halts.
Is there anyway to have the files that are no longer needed deleted as the video plays to free up space?

I can't install any additional RAM into my system as it only supports 32GB and many of the mkv files exceed this amount.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Temporary files when playing videos
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Can you give a couple of examples of the filenames?

I didn't think MC creates temp files when playing video.  It's possible, I suppose.

MC would normally clean up temp files it produces.

dburkhard

Re: Temporary files when playing videos
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »

Here is an example of the files:

BufferedInternetReader - 15096-0.dat.cnk    131,072 kB

With a 4GB RAM disk, it quickly created about 30 of these files, with the same file name except incrementing the 15096-0 to 15096-1, etc.
The file will play normally until all of these files are finished then playback stops. The files are deleted after playback stops, but it would be great if the older files could be deleted as they are finished.
Pages: [1]   Go Up