INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will not allow me to watch TV  (Read 2044 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
Will not allow me to watch TV
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:41 pm »

I recently installed MC 23, latest version download and I am having an issue since I updated to win 10. I was running win 7 on my HTPC and downloaded and set up MC. All went well and seemed to be working fine. In theatre view, I could watch live TV, view and play my recorded TV shows and DVD copies. I decided to do the win 10 update since I had a key for it.

After the win 10 update I had to then reinstall MC. After the reinstall I can not watch live tv. I can go into the guide and schedule recordings etc but when I try to watch a channel, It will not switch to it and for some reason at the same time it switches the input on my AVR to the NET DLNA input from the input I am using for the HTPC. I tried this with three different windows remotes I have and all do the same thing.

Tomorrow I will try reinstalling MC to see if it fixes it. Just wondering if I should do a complete uninstall including all user files and do a complete start over. As I said before doing the win 10 update all was working fine. 
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will not allow me to watch TV
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:19:03 pm »

When you reinstalled MC, did you also restore a MC backup so that you got back your library and all your settings? You should have. MC automatically makes backups. Restore the last one made before the Windows 10 upgrade.

If after the restore of the backup TV still doesn't work, run the TV setup process again.

Can you still play recordings made before the upgrade?

Your AVR changing inputs would be something to do with your remote controls. MC can't do that. Theoretically, connected devices can send commands to other devices, via CEC or similar depending on your hardware, but I doubt it is that. Do you use a Harmony remote? Have you programmed it to select the input on the AVR?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:13:35 pm »

When you reinstalled MC, did you also restore a MC backup so that you got back your library and all your settings? You should have. MC automatically makes backups. Restore the last one made before the Windows 10 upgrade.

I did not realize that MC did auto backups. I searched for one today but could not find one.Can you tell me where it should be located?

If after the restore of the backup TV still doesn't work, run the TV setup process again.

I did a computer restart this morning and now TV works correctly and I can watch TV.

Can you still play recordings made before the upgrade?
Yes I can since I restarted the PC

Your AVR changing inputs would be something to do with your remote controls. MC can't do that. Theoretically, connected devices can send commands to other devices, via CEC or similar depending on your hardware, but I doubt it is that. Do you use a Harmony remote? Have you programmed it to select the input on the AVR?
I use a URC MX-850 programmable remote. Strange thing is the input would change when I pressed the enter or ok  button. I also tried a HP windows remote and a MCE remote and on both of them when I pressed the ok or enter the AVR input would change. I was not using a macro at the time. Since the PC restart it is now working correctly. I really have no idea why it was doing the input change.

Thanks for your response. I really am looking forward to getting MC set up and fully functional. I loaded Gizmo on my phone and can view my movies and recorded TV shows on it, next move is setting up access to all of my audio files that are on a network computer. I just wish I had not wasted the last two years messing around with Kodi and all of its bug issues. It has a great looking GUI but seems like every two weeks I had to reload it or try a different nightly build.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:06:18 pm »

I did not realize that MC did auto backups. I searched for one today but could not find one.Can you tell me where it should be located?

The location that automatic backups are placed in is defined in the setting:
Options > File Locations > Program Files > Library Backups

The default location on Windows is: "C:\Users\[UserID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 23\Library Backups\"

Manual backups can be stored anywhere you like, and MC will remember where the last one was put. I tend to do manual backups occasionally and store them in the same place as the automatic ones, but labelled as manual. For things like before a major changes in settings and the like.

You should get to know the Wiki a bit. For example, a simple search found: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

It is amazing what a restart of the PC can fix, isn't it?  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:44:56 pm »

I have been spending a lot of time viewing the Wiki. There is so much to learn from it and I am sure that I will be using it quite a bit as I delve further into MC and all it can do. Yes it is amazing what a restart will do. It really bugs me about the input changing that was happening on my AVR. I am running my HTPC into it with pass through only and letting my 4K TYV do the upscaling. Wondering if it was a HDMI handshake issue. I have been using the AVR and PC for a number of years and never had the input issue until I installed win 10. Thinking about upgrading to Pro so I have more control on installing updates and restarts. Thanks again. I will now do any posting on windows issues in the windows forum.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:32:07 pm »

All good.

A hint: Sometimes a Google search of the JRiver Wiki and Forum find better results than using the built-in searches, although the Wiki and Forum Advanced Search aren't bad. They just don't provide the same capabilities as Google. Just use Google Advanced Search with the forum or Wiki domain specified. Good search results mean not having to read everything to find what you want.

Also, if you do have TV questions, posting in this Television sub-forum will get you the quickest and most accurate answers. The primary TV developer from JRiver, Yaobing, always checks anything posted in here. As do others, but TV is his baby.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up