INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Preview Window  (Read 2480 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Image Preview Window
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:41:00 pm »

Say you are using the built-in Images->Files view (Panes), so at the top you have your Location, File Type, and Dimensions panes (or what panes I have defined... doesn't matter), and on the bottom is the list of files.

Is there a way to configure a preview window for the currently selected file?  You know, like when you hover for two seconds, you get a nice, large preview image.  I'd like to be able to quickly scroll through most sometimes very large (depending on the filter) lists to find the image I'm looking for without having to wait 2 seconds for the tooltip popup.  Is that possible?

I'm way out of practice with all the ins and outs of this awesome Media manager, but I recall that there's probably a way to configure the bottom pane as a thumbnail view rather than a details list view, but that's not what I want.  I still need to see the details list.  I want a separate window to show a preview image without my having to send it to "Playing Now".

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Image Preview Window
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:47:11 pm »

Best I can think of is to have the tag window open, showing the image, then, as you move around in the list, you will see a small preview of the selected image.

For me, in this scenario (looking for an image) a well tagged keywords field and a thumbnailed file list is the fastest way to find what I'm after...

Great to see that you're using MC to manage your pictures. In recent years, it's become one the most overlooked areas of MC, in my humble opinion, of course :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:16:59 am »

When you hover over an image, you can choose Menu > Preview Image.  Then you have a list of thumbnails down the side and a large image to the left.

My method is to select the images I want to compare, then play them full screen.  You can easily move between two images with the arrow key, then delete the one you don't want.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:52 am »

there's probably a way to configure the bottom pane as a thumbnail view rather than a details list view
If you click in the top or bottom, you can use ctrl-U to cycle through the views.

I realize I'm probably not giving you exactly what you want, but it's all I've got.  Sorry.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:33:18 am »

try using tabs instead of top and bottom or I spose you could use top and bottom in different tabs...you don't have to x out of tabs...I have like 7 or 8 tabs for my most used areas of MC....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:58:56 am »

Folks, OP has stated that thumbnails and different tabs are not what he wants as he needs to see the details, and the preview together...
I'm way out of practice with all the ins and outs of this awesome Media manager, but I recall that there's probably a way to configure the bottom pane as a thumbnail view rather than a details list view, but that's not what I want.  I still need to see the details list.  I want a separate window to show a preview image without my having to send it to "Playing Now".

Another, probably better, way of coming at this, is to have the list configured as thumbnails, and have the tag window open full height on the left, with a "Visible fields" group open. Then, as you go through the thumbnail list, the details will be available on the left.

Omni

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:46 pm »

When you hover over an image, you can choose Menu > Preview Image.  Then you have a list of thumbnails down the side and a large image to the left.

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for.

ETA:  Okay, not exactly what I was looking for, but I guess it'll do.  Playing around with it, I just realized this switches views and hides the filter panes and I have to close the preview window to get back to the filtering view.

Great to see that you're using MC to manage your pictures. In recent years, it's become one the most overlooked areas of MC, in my humble opinion, of course :)

I use ACDSee as my image file manager, and I've tried numerous times over the last decade to switch over to MC, but ACDSee just more streamlined in terms of the viewing aspect of images.  Little QoL things like being able to marquee zoom (i.e., drag a bounding box), image viewer vs. image manager, etc.

Problem with it is that there is an internal hard-coded limit to the DB size, and I'm constantly having to prune/delete the thumbnails lest I get a "database corruption" problem (false error).

Anyway, TMI, I know, but I'm giving MC another go.  My new beef is that MC now won't display animated gifs at all.  It never animated them, I know, but with v23, it won't even display the first frame.  I'm hoping that's just a bug that will be sorted out soon.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:45:47 pm »

See my previous post...
Go tag window up the left side which gives you all your details.
Go thumbs in the file list.
Reduce the height of the filter panes by dragging the splitter up if that works better.
Play with the thumbnail size using the slider in the top right.
You can right click the slider to have the selected image fill the list space.
You can double click an image to 'play' it. Effectively, this presents a full screen view of the image that's zoomable by way of the scroll wheel. double clicking on the full screen image drops you back to where you were in the file list.

Little tips that may, or may not, be helpful.

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:33:05 pm »

Folks, OP has stated that thumbnails and different tabs are not what he wants as he needs to see the details, and the preview together...
My user name is ~OM~ or you can call me Patrick.....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »

My user name is ~OM~ or you can call me Patrick.....

Hello Patrick!  ;D

"OP" used on a forum means "Original Poster" or "Original Post" different but the same, depending on context.

So, Marko didn't actually spell your name wrong, if that's what you thought happened.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:22:41 pm »

Hello Patrick!  ;D

"OP" used on a forum means "Original Poster" or "Original Post" different but the same, depending on context.

So, Marko didn't actually spell your name wrong, if that's what you thought happened.  8)
Hello RoderickGI, I indeed know what OP means. I was referring to "folks" as I was the only one to REMENTION tabs.  ;)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »

and Jim mentioned thumbnails, so I referred to you both as 'folks'.

It's a colloquial thing and no offense was intended.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 07:18:34 pm »

I was deeply offended.  Apology accepted.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »

You know you can only ever take offence, as it is never given, right Jim?  ;D

I will have to watch myself. My opening line is typically "G'Day folks" for all sorts of communications. We are an international community, and I guess offence can be taken so easily.

But I understand where you were coming from now Patrick.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 09:48:11 pm »

I'm way to old to take offence...my mouth gets me in trouble here way more than yours...It's all good ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up