INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo search plays wrong track  (Read 1430 times)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
Gizmo search plays wrong track
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »

I have MC23 Windows (latest stable version) and Gizmo on Android 7.1 on my Galaxy Note 8.
Gizmo is connected to the library server.

I press "search" on the phone and type in "BWV 992 aria smith" which is part of the keywords I am searching for.
I get a whole page of results.
Then, if I press any one of those results on the screen, Gizmo always plays the same piece - the one that matches the first result.

If I scroll down one page exactly on the phone, and press any of the other matches now displayed, pressing any of the other marches plays the first track on top of the second screen.

And so on.

Has anyone else seen this ? I can do screen captures, but this doesn't really demonstrate the problem. I would need to do a video capture with another device to show the issue.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo search plays wrong track
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:35:06 pm »

Yes. Search results are not reliable in Gizmo.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:58:30 pm »

Yes. Search results are not reliable in Gizmo.

:-( Are there any plans to fix this ?

Does JRemote fix this ?

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »

JRemote's search results are a little easier to use, but still require some attention. There are a couple of different places to search, and the most obvious and accessible icon just looks in the current view, so at least in my case it's not the search I want to use. And to search a classical music collection your library should be thoroughly and accurately tagged. Well, any collection should be correctly tagged, but if you've ripped a lot of classical CDs and accepted the tags from somewhere on the net you'll have to spend some time cleaning things up before you can use JRemote's search with any degree of satisfaction. Eventually I decided a better solution was to create different views that let me find things quickly instead of using search from anywhere other than MC on a computer. I still find search within MC itself to be very good (although I wish the suggestion list would disappear when you hit enter, but I understand that's supposed to be a feature, not a bug).

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:26 pm »

JRemote's search results are a little easier to use, but still require some attention. There are a couple of different places to search, and the most obvious and accessible icon just looks in the current view, so at least in my case it's not the search I want to use. And to search a classical music collection your library should be thoroughly and accurately tagged. Well, any collection should be correctly tagged, but if you've ripped a lot of classical CDs and accepted the tags from somewhere on the net you'll have to spend some time cleaning things up before you can use JRemote's search with any degree of satisfaction. Eventually I decided a better solution was to create different views that let me find things quickly instead of using search from anywhere other than MC on a computer. I still find search within MC itself to be very good (although I wish the suggestion list would disappear when you hit enter, but I understand that's supposed to be a feature, not a bug).

I'm well aware of the need for tagging the collection properly. My complaint isn't with the quality or content of the search results in Gizmo, but the fact that when I select one of the results that it found, Gizmo play something seemingly completely unrelated.

I guess a screenshot explains it best. In the attached screenshot, if I press any of the 6 selections displayed, regardless of which one, it always plays a track that corresponds to the selection at the top of the screen "Capriccio BWV 992: Aria Di Postiglione: Adagio Poco".

The first 3 selections are from the same album by Wanda Landowska .
The next 3 tracks shown are from a completely different album of the Goldberg Variations by Pierre Hantaļ. When I press one of those, I would expect to hear something from that album - but instead, I hear something completely unrelated - the selection at the top of the screen,  "Capriccio BWV 992: Aria Di Postiglione: Adagio Poco" .

If I scroll down the results, so that "Bach (JS) : Goldberg Variations - Pierre Hantaļ - 1992" is shown at the top, as in the second screenshot, then pressing that selection - and any of 5 others on that screen - plays the aria from that album.

Basically, the search function finds lots of things, but I can only effectively select one per page, and all the other results appear to be ignored, and presses always select the one at the top.

Not sure why that is happening, or if it's specific to my device (Galaxy Note 8 smartphone, as noted earlier), but as it stands, the search function in Gizmo is completely useless for me.

When I select by album, without using search, selection of tracks works as expected - the specific track I select actually gets played. Same if I select by artist, genre, composer, and so on.

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:24 am »

I'm well aware of the need for tagging the collection properly. My complaint isn't with the quality or content of the search results in Gizmo, but the fact that when I select one of the results that it found, Gizmo play something seemingly completely unrelated.

I apologize for the lecturing tone. That wasn't my intent, but this morning I can see that's how it sounded.

In any event, Gizmo's search is broken and it's unlikely to get fixed. If you want to keep using Gizmo you'll need a different approach. I created a custom tag named "Work", then set up a custom view grouped by Work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up