INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rename move copy files is leaving old files behind, causing much cleanup work  (Read 1250 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

So, I've been spending some time lately trying to cleanup my music.  I've got a good handle on things now, and wanted to move the cleaned files from a 'verified' folder to a 'clean' folder, using move, copy, rename tool.

I moved about 23000 audio files, and (hopefully) the associated artwork in those same folders.  MC reported success except for 4 files, which for some reason 'failed' (don't remember the warning now, I think they were in use, which wasn't accurate).  A second move of these 4 files resulted in me having to tell windows dialog box to overwrite the file with the same name, meaning MC did move the files, but just couldn't seem to delete the old file for some reason.  Okay, 4 out of 23k is not a problem.  MC asked if I wanted to delete some 1500 folders or so, which I said yes to.

Today, I continue working on this, only to find I now have about 9000 duplicates, and half are in the old 'verified' folder, which should not be.

the bigger problem is it didn't leave everything behind, so there's no easy way to confirm which were just left behind and which might not have gotten moved at all, if any.  If I just try to move them all again, it could prompt 4500 individual confirmation messages, which I cannot deal with.  if I just delete all the files in the old 'verified' folders, i might be deleting the only copy I have if it didn't really get moved.

So, there seems to be a BIG bug in the tool not doing what I think it's supposed to do.

I'm trying to build smartlists to find only the duplicates, but it's taking about a long as just doing it manually.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just really unlucky?
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It's a powerful tool and generally does exactly what you tell it to.  It shows a preview on the right if you hover your mouse over the files.

You could rename a directory to something like verified.old and make sure it isn't automatically imported.  Then soft delete files from MC.  Sort by location, search for verified, then press delete (Read Carefully) to remove them from MC's database.  If any are missing you can go look to see if they are in the folder you renamed.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

This is still a problem.  I have a folder with a dozen music files and 10 jpg files (cover art, etc).  I rename, move, copy and check the box to move all files in the folder (even files not imported), but it only moves the music files, leaving the jpg files behind.

Can this be fixed?
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up