INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing files with special characters  (Read 3377 times)

jpmahala

• Recent member
Syncing files with special characters
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »

Every time I try and sync a playlist to an external device, it wants to recopy any file that has umlauts or accents in the file/folder path.  Any way to fix this?

tutenchamun

• Recent member
Re: Syncing files with special characters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:33:49 am »

MC has various annoying issues with special characters / encoding on OSX ...
This gets even more troublesome if you manage media files on mixed environments (linux, windows & OSX involved) like I do. How ever, this actually seems to be more an issue of the OS's rather than MC.

For a payed application I think I can expect a fix to such fundamental functionality, but I cannot assume that every special environmental situation and encoding mix is easily replicable for the dev's

jpmahala

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:52:03 am »

It seems as though MC copies the files correctly, but is unable to recognize that the file now exists on the removable media.  So therefore MC wants to copy the files again the next time you sync.

Mr.WaCko

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:25:45 am »

It seems as though MC copies the files correctly, but is unable to recognize that the file now exists on the removable media.  So therefore MC wants to copy the files again the next time you sync.

The problem sits in the way the playlist files are written to the sync drive when the file names have special characters

for example

the playlist has the following line
Code: [Select]
.\..\Tie¨sto, Gucci Mane & Sevenn - BOOM.flac Whist it should read
Code: [Select]
.\..\Tiësto, Gucci Mane & Sevenn - BOOM.flac
I also have all my files on a mac and suffer from this problem. I am not going to rename my entire library MC should fix this bug.

Juke

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:08 pm »

I wrote a simple script that will identify the invalid files in an m3u playlist file on my mac.  I then have to go back and manually edit the playlist.m3u file and fix any music file names the script flagged with "Fix Me".

$ cat checklist
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then
    echo "checking:  $1 ..."

while read line
    do
        FILE=`echo $line | tr -d '\r'`
        if [ ! -f "$FILE" ]; then
            echo Fix Me: $FILE
        fi
    done < $1
else
    echo "Usage:  $0 <playlist.m3u>"
fi

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »

You can try what seems to be working for me, seen here in new post I made since 23 is an old version now:

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 04:27:46 pm »

SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 04:31:29 pm »

I had a similar week long battle with special characters.  Although mine were not related to playlist names, the files in them were also an issue.  Unfortunately, we never found the cause, only the solution which I just posted.  I noticed that my filename representation was similar to yours... although sure if you're was in Rename mode or just normal viewing mode.  In either case, perhaps there's something in my solution that can help you....

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123346.msg854400.html#msg854400
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up