INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles selection  (Read 8658 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Subtitles selection
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:12:37 am »

I am quoting this https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles

You can set subtitles in one of following ways:

1. If a menu exists (DVD), you can use it. At this time, Blu-ray playback has no menu.

2. While viewing a movie, you can use the OSD (On Screen Display). The controls that operate this are the arrow keys on a remote or a keyboard. Use up arrow or down arrow to move through the available settings, and left or right arrow to change them.

3. While viewing a movie, right-click and use the 'Subtitles' menu.

I cannot make option 3 working: I play a move, I right click the movie but I cannot see any menu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kayexd2btft2c3r/Screenshot%202018-02-18%2015.12.27.png?dl=0

can I automatically force to load subtitles, e.g. if I play the movie a.mkv, load a subtitle file named a.srt?
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Subtitles selection
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:14:57 am »

You need to right-click in the Display area (anywhere on the playing video), not the list view.

-tm

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »

If you have an srt file sitting next to the movie file, and the first part of the name is the same as the movie, and you have the correct settings in Options > Video > Subtitles & Language, then subtitles will automatically be displayed.

i.e. A movie named "MovieName.mkv" with srt files named "MovieName 001.srt", "MovieName 002.srt", "MovieName 003.srt" will be available for selection through the menus. You can add a Language suffix to the srt file name as well, something like "MovieName EN 001.srt". But I don't recall the rules for defining a language that way, and it isn't documented in the Wiki. But it can just be reference information, rather than define the language. Research required.

You did read the Subtitles Wiki, right?

If there is only one srt file and it meets the settings criteria, it will be displayed.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:24:35 am »

You need to right-click in the Display area (anywhere on the playing video), not the list view.

-tm
I am trying this right now but it does not work since the movie is on the VPR and I acannot access to it with the mouse (I am playing over DLNA). No way to get this working ...
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:24:55 pm »

If you are playing over DLNA, everything is different. After all, you aren't actually on the PC that is running the MC Server, so the MC Server which has the Subtitle file isn't even rendering the video. Naturally, the MC OSD doesn't exist on the Renderer (even if it is another instance of MC, but why would you do that over DLNA?) using the right-click method isn't going to activate a MC menu.

So try this first. On your MC Server open "Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers... > Advanced > Present Subtitle Resources", and tick that box. Now with the correct settings for Subtitles in "Options > Video > Subtitles & Language" MC should try to display the Subtitles, and if your DLNA Renderer is capable of turning on and presenting Subtitles, try turning them on and see if that works. You will have to work out how to do that on your DLNA Renderer.

If the above doesn't work, and if you can play the video on the MC Server, then do so and select the Subtitle stream that you want and make any adjustments so that they display properly with the video, and then go back to your DLNA Renderer and see if the Subtitles now work. Note that you can check if Subtitles are set to play on a video by looking at the [Playback Info] tag, which will include something like this text;

(1:5)(12:SubtitleSize)(1:1)(16:SubtitleTimingMS)(4:2500)(7:Streams)(3:0,1)(9:Subtitles)(25:SRT [Oblivion (2013).srt])(14:SubtitleShiftY)(1:0)

As you can see, there are a few Subtitle parameters in that text. The bold bit turns on the Subtitles and selects the Subtitle SRT file in this case.

If you can't play the video on your MC Server because it is headless or something like that, then you can also just edit the [Playback Info] tag directly and add in the parameters that you require. See the image below for some more examples of what the [Playback Info] tag may look like. The two highlighted Movies are good examples. You may have to experiement a bit if you are editing the tag directly, because some of the parameter components are inconsistent. i.e. The number before the ":SRT" in the examples changes.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:40:19 am »

Thank you so much. I will try this ... would have it been simplier for JRiver to make a menu for subitles selection outside th OSD? how would this hurt anybody?
Stereo:

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:45:43 pm »

I have upgraded to JRiver 25 and still I cannot display sub-titles with my DLNA render (Oppo BD 105 ...)
Stereo:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:24:15 am »

Thank you and sorry for cross posting
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up