INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Server setup  (Read 4344 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
DLNA Server setup
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »

Hi everyone.

I’ve done a bit of forum digging on this one and I think I know the answer but would like to double check.

All the audio files I my library are in flac, but of varying rates and depths. Some of these files are 24/96, some are 16/44, some are 192k and some are at 176.4 k etc.

I have set the audio mode in the DLNA Server to “Original”, as I've found the renderer associated with this server can play them all natively.

What I would like to verify is given this is the case, then whatever is used in the “format” setting of the DLNA server will make no difference?

Nor will it make any difference whether I use “Generic DLNA” or “Audiophile 24-bit DAC” or whatever option in the server template?

I’m thinking, and I think it is backed up by a couple of threads, that these settings should be used if you are forced to, or wish to for whatever reason, not use the Original setting.

Thanks

Scobie.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: DLNA Server setup
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »

What I would like to verify is given this is the case, then whatever is used in the “format” setting of the DLNA server will make no difference?

Correct. The format section should grey out when "Original" is selected.

Nor will it make any difference whether I use “Generic DLNA” or “Audiophile 24-bit DAC” or whatever option in the server template?

Those are literally just templates with settings at the best guess, best fit, values for the type of DLNA Renderer you will be sending media to. You can select any one and change the detailed settings as you wish. It is a pity that the name inherited from the template can't be changed once it has been used to create a DLNA server. But you can add multiple servers with the same name. Could become confusing if several DLNA servers are required.

EDIT: It seems you can change the name of a DLNA server by changing the "Display name" saving that and closing the dialogue by hitting OK, then when you reopen the dialogue the Display Name is used rather than the template name. Sweet.

I’m thinking, and I think it is backed up by a couple of threads, that these settings should be used if you are forced to, or wish to for whatever reason, not use the Original setting.

Correct.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:34:19 pm »

Nice one Roderick thank you.

This came about yesterday when I was doing some tinkering for another one of my renderers and saw the "audiophile" server setting. I thought hello lets give that a crack, but looking at it further I thought given the "original" setting it would not make any difference, as you have just confirmed.

BTW I did for the first time configure a second DLNA server as the other renderer mentioned above, whilst it plays flac natively will only do so for 16/44 files, and barfs at anything deeper. Configuring the sampling rate for everything bigger than 44khz down to 44khz for this device worked beautifully, so thanks JRiver and the excellent DSP Studio functionality there. Allows me to play to 2 different systems without needing to do anything to the source files. Pretty happy with that and just had to tell someone....

Scobie.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »

8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up