INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing a Field from the Library (RESOLVED)  (Read 3212 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Removing a Field from the Library (RESOLVED)
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:13 pm »

I have a field named "Status" that I wanted to change to "Burn Status". So I created a new field (Burn Status) and then use the  library tool to copy the field contents from Status to Burn Status. So far, so good. Now I cannot find a way to eliminate the old field "Status". All I can do is hide it.

How can I remove the field "Status" from my library?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Removing a Field from the Library
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:22 pm »

[Status] doesn't appear to be a standard Library field, so it must be a custom field you have added.

In that case, why didn't you just renamed the [Status] field to [Burn Status]?

You could just rename the [Status] field to [Burn Status] now, and then delete the new [Burn Status] field. When a Custom field is highlighted the "Delete Field" may look greyed out, but when you hover over it should become active and work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Removing a Field from the Library
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »

I read your answer and while it did not provide a fix, it did lead me to one.

I clicked Library Options > Manage Library Fields. I could see the Status field but it was not clickable so I clicked various options in the box at the top left of the Manage Library Fields window.

When I clicked "Show only fields saved in tags" I could see the unwanted Status field and when I selected that, then the Delete Field button became active. I clicked it and now I have no more Status field. I made the image below after I did this and that's why the Status field is not present:

So, I thank you for getting me into the right area!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Removing a Field from the Library (Resolved)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 04:31:05 pm »

Actually, you've helped me as well as you have reminded me of that filter feature, and it will help with something else I am working on.

So thank you:D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Removing a Field from the Library (Still UNRESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:27 pm »

It's been about 8 hours since I "resolved" my problem and I exited MC. Now when I start MC I see the Status field has reappeared in my view. It is empty, so I just hid it again. I guess I'll have to live with it.

If anyone else has another suggestion I would appreciate hearing it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:56 am »

Very strange. There is no function to hide a field in the Manage Library Fields dialogue. I can click on every field that exists in the MC Library, whether Standard or User fields. I just can't make many changes to the Standard fields. You must be hiding this field in some other place. For reference, see the image. I have no Status field. But there is nowhere to hide a field in this dialogue.

I'm trying to think of anywhere in MC that you can "Hide" something, and the only place I can think of is hiding TV Channels under Television.

I did manage to sort of replicate what you are saying by;
Adding a [Status] field to MC via the "Manage Library Fields" function.
Creating a copy of my Audio/Artists View and adding the [Status] field as a column.
Deleting the [Status] field via the "Manage Library Fields" function.
Going back to my View, the [Status] field is still shown as a column.
Right-clicking on any column in the View [Status] was still included in the list and was ticked.
Unticking the [Status] field and closing the field list.
Right-clicking on any column in the View and scrolling down, the [Status] field is no longer in the list.

So, is that what you were doing? If so, that would be perfectly normal it seems. Deleting a field doesn't remove it from a View. But it does delete the field and all the data the field contained. You have to go in and remove the field from any View it is included in. Once you have done that, it isn't hidden, it is gone. It isn't coming back either.

If the above isn't what was happening for you, could you unhide the Status field and then post an image showing how you would hide it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:07:53 am »

I'm trying to think of anywhere in MC that you can "Hide" something, and the only place I can think of is hiding TV Channels under Television.
You can uncheck Features in Tools > Options > General > Features.

Setting Audio Only mode would also hide some things.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:06 am »

@Jim
I'm confused. You wrote:

"You can uncheck Features in Tools > Options > General > Features"

What did you mean when you wrote that?

When I click Tools>Options>General>Features, I don't see a way to check or uncheck Features. All I see is a list of features, some checked and some unchecked. Did you perhaps forget to add something? (I'm using version 21 here.)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:42 am »

Very strange. There is no function to hide a field in the Manage Library Fields dialogue. I can click on every field that exists in the MC Library, whether Standard or User fields. I just can't make many changes to the Standard fields. You must be hiding this field in some other place. For reference, see the image. I have no Status field. But there is nowhere to hide a field in this dialogue.

I did manage to sort of replicate what you are saying by;
Adding a [Status] field to MC via the "Manage Library Fields" function.
Creating a copy of my Audio/Artists View and adding the [Status] field as a column.
Deleting the [Status] field via the "Manage Library Fields" function.
Going back to my View, the [Status] field is still shown as a column.
Right-clicking on any column in the View [Status] was still included in the list and was ticked.
Unticking the [Status] field and closing the field list.
Right-clicking on any column in the View and scrolling down, the [Status] field is no longer in the list.

So, is that what you were doing?

I've done so many things last night and this morning while working with this I can't remember them all. But yes, your description pretty much is how I hid the [Status] field.

Right now I have MC where I can hear whatever I select and I don't see a Status field in my view. Maybe that will change (again)? I hope not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Removing a Field from the Library (UnRESOLVED)
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:10:44 am »

"You can uncheck Features in Tools > Options > General > Features"

What did you mean when you wrote that?
Just that.  Maybe you're running on a client and connected to a server?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:08:30 pm »

The "Hide" issue was just terminology Jim. I was trying to get Skeezix to explain what he was talking about, and think about the term "Hide". That isn't what he was looking for. Plus, you can still hide Features on a Client while is connected to a Server.  ;D

Skeezix you have been using MC for 11 years. I'm sure that you created a [Status] field at some time, and included it in one or more of your Views. Now that [Status] field is deleted, all data gone, and the last vestige of it has been removed from MC when you removed the "Status" column from your View. Of course, you may have it included in some other View.

If it shows up again, please take an image of where it is and post the image here, so we can see exactly what you are talking about. Thanks.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:50:01 pm »

Skeezix you have been using MC for 11 years. I'm sure that you created a [Status] field at some time, and included it in one or more of your Views. Now that [Status] field is deleted, all data gone, and the last vestige of it has been removed from MC when you removed the "Status" column from your View. Of course, you may have it included in some other View.

If it shows up again, please take an image of where it is and post the image here, so we can see exactly what you are talking about. Thanks.

I most likely did create that field in the past. I'll take a look at my Views (although I think I have only one that I named), and if it shows up again I'll post an image here.

Thank you for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up