INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about folders  (Read 2202 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
Question about folders
« on: February 24, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »

I really like and am used to searching my windows machine by traditional folder structures (like flac/beatles/rubber soul/....then all the tracks for that album would be there).  It works better for me than traditional software (like JRiver) because, for example, I have several versions of Pet Sounds and each folder title explains the difference between them (SACD, vinyl rip, 16-44, etc...).  They are all tagged, however, as "Pet Sounds" because I don't want all the other info in the album title.  What this causes in JRiver (and other software) is that all the Pet Sounds tracks are dumped into one "Pet Sounds" and I have 6 versions of every song - so there is no way to pick, say, the SACD.  You get the idea....
So - is it possible within JRiver for me to have the option of keeping my folder structure from my windows 7 machine?  I've mounted that master folder for my Nuc Id on Linux that is directly connected to my Marantz via hdmi (with an ethernet connection from the my windows machine).
This would be HUGE for me:)
Any help is greatly appreciated - actually, all the help I've been getting from you good folks is greatly appreciated.  I just got the NUC up an going last night - a steep learning curve for me (one I'm still, obviously, on)::)

zonka

• World Citizen
Re: Question about folders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:09:56 pm »

After reading other posts about this possibility I was kind of left with the impression that it wasn't possible....well, under "audio", I happened to hit "Files" and there was my mnt share folder - and I could see every one of my folders (and it is working in Theater View as well).
Solved.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:09:35 am »

I’m wondering if you can alter the view (or clone it) to group albums by “filename (path)” rather than by album title. That field for you would appear to distinguish the albums.

Edited to add - yes you can; eg customize “recent albums” view, change to view by filename(path) instead of album, save as new view.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:19:47 pm »

If you learned a bit more about Views in MC, and added a tag such as "Source" or "Format" or "My special category", or used an existing tag like [Grouping], you could include that in Views to separate out your different types of tracks into their own Albums, I'm sure. There have been threads on this topic before, with different approaches suggested.

The built-in Views in MC are really pretty basic so that they work for everyone, but the power of MC is that you can build your own Views and display your music the way you want to see it. Drilling down through the Files list is not the best way to use MC, but I understand that it is the familiar way, because that was the only way to do it with other software.

Grouping by [filename (path)] isn't a bad idea, but using a tag allows an easier way to enforce naming of the "Source" or whatever, and quick editing to fix incorrect entries, without having to actually move files on the hard disk. There is no assistance of this type using the filename path for grouping.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up