INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odroid C2, Audio Stutter Using Dolby Digital Encoding  (Read 2187 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Odroid C2, Audio Stutter Using Dolby Digital Encoding
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »

I just hooked up the HiFi Shield+, it has two RCA and one toslink output. Using version 102.

Using the toslink with no encoding everything converts to 2 channel and all files play perfectly.

When activating Dolby Digital encoding to achieve 5.1 sound there is an audio glitch about every 7 seconds, regardless of type of material played (2 ch, 5.1 ch, MP3, FLAC). The glitching may not start immediately during playback.

I tried different options,  adjusting the buffer time under device settings, options for memory playback, etc. It seems increasing the buffer may help delay the glitching for the first few minutes but once it starts it is consistently around 7 seconds. I didn't try adjusting Period Time.

This is happening in both the Volumio/LXDE and stock Ubuntu MATE (from Odroid) OS's. If this were a lesser machine such as a Pi I would consider other things like current disk/cpu load, etc., but this C2 flies through everything. The music is on a mounted network drive, gigabit network.

Any suggestions? Is this a possible board  or DAC timing issue? Anyone else using 5.1 DD Encoding successfully? I haven't tried going back a build or two.

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Odroid C2, Audio Stutter Using Dolby Digital Encoding
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44:24 pm »

As a follow up, I tested more using my little AMD A4 Lenovo laptop running Mint 18.3 and a Creative SB1090 DAC. Multichannel playback using DD encoding with the toslink output worked flawlessly, so I chalk it up to the Odroid board/DAC. Stereo plays great up to 384 KHz native on the Odroid, so no worries here.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Odroid C2, Audio Stutter Using Dolby Digital Encoding
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 02:14:47 pm »

I'm thinking that encoder might only be single threaded so it could be cpu limited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up