INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seperating tagging of artists on one album  (Read 3314 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Seperating tagging of artists on one album
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:14:58 am »

Hi there,

let's say I have an album that is a collaboration of Artist A and Artist B. I used to tag "Album Artist" with "Artist A & Artist B" but now I tag "Artist A; Artist B" since (IIRC) this leads to having the artists show up separately under "Artists" view. Is that correct? If not, what is the correct tagging syntax for separating the artist values? It doesn't seem to work for me on initial tests.

I assume this can be also used for "feat. Artist C" when tagging a single song (e.g, Artist=Artist A, Artist C), so that Artist C will show up under "Artists" view, correct? 

tyler69

Re: Seperating tagging of artists on one album
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:51 am »

So separating with ";" in the Artist tag leads to a "/" in MC. The artists divided by the "/" do not show up as single artists in artist view. Any help is much appreciated.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 04:16:02 am »

Can you show a pic of what you are doing? On a quick test, it works as you describe for the Artist tag

i.e.

created a view that groups by [Artist]
I picked some random track in an album
added some other string to the artist using ; as a delimiter
refreshed the view
it shows 2 artists

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 04:41:24 am »

Thank you mattkhan for checking it out.
The first screenshot shows how I tagged the files. The second one shows how they appear in MC.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:53:51 am »

my example is with flac, if I set the tag in MC then I get 2 artist tags

Code: [Select]
$ metaflac --show-tag=ARTIST 01-Intro.flac
ARTIST=2Pac
ARTIST=Word

alternatively if I set a single ARTIST tag in the file

$ metaflac --show-tag=ARTIST 01-Intro.flac
ARTIST=2Pac;Word

and import this into a fresh library then it still shows the separate artists

so, for me, it works in either case, at least for flac. What type of files are you using (in case there is a difference in the tag types)?

tyler69

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 05:10:59 am »

Yeah, that is how I would expect it to work. I use AIF files.
I tried out a FLAC file. A difference is, that in MC the delimiter is an ";" while it is "/" for AIF files.
Under Artist view I still see no differentiation between the artists, but one grouped artist.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 05:16:08 am »

What version of MC are you using?

tyler69

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:21:43 am »

23.0.102 x64

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 05:30:16 am »

the behaviour you show is what I see in the Album Artist tag but not in Artist

I don't know what the difference could be I'm afraid

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:53:28 am »

The difference would be the external tool being used I suspect.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114704.0.html
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:57:52 am »

it could well be. I did repeat my test using metaflac though and MC behaved as expected.

@tyler69 why don't you use MC for tagging?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 06:02:25 am »

Plus when you put "2Pac;Nate Dogg" into the [Artist] tag using dBpoweramp, it looks like MC is correctly interpreting that as two Artists and separating them for the [Artist] tag, but is possibly also putting the contents of the [Artist] tag directly into the [Album Artist] as it is, character for character, as it is supposed to. Hence, "2Pac;Nate Dogg" is in the [Album Artist] tag.

You don't show enough in your images to know why you are getting "Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong" in the [Artist] tag in MC, but look to the differences between dBpoweramp and MC configurations.

Of course, you know the real answer: Just use MC for ripping, tagging, and media management.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:46 am »

Yeah, your test worked because you just used the [Artist] tag, while Tyler69 is also populating the [Album Artist] tag.

tyler69

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 06:11:31 am »

it could well be. I did repeat my test using metaflac though and MC behaved as expected.

@tyler69 why don't you use MC for tagging?

I do not use MC for tagging because of the issues I describe in the other thread. Also I never got to find out all options on how/when MC adds tags. So I want to tag the files before importing, then NOT writing MC any tags to it. But I see that my two threads now are mixed up which makes it hard to follow the underlying issues.

tyler69

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 06:13:23 am »

Plus when you put "2Pac;Nate Dogg" into the [Artist] tag using dBpoweramp, it looks like MC is correctly interpreting that as two Artists and separating them for the [Artist] tag, but is possibly also putting the contents of the [Artist] tag directly into the [Album Artist] as it is, character for character, as it is supposed to. Hence, "2Pac;Nate Dogg" is in the [Album Artist] tag.

You don't show enough in your images to know why you are getting "Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong" in the [Artist] tag in MC, but look to the differences between dBpoweramp and MC configurations.

Of course, you know the real answer: Just use MC for ripping, tagging, and media management.  ;)

Well the Flac gets an ";" and the AIF gets an "/". It might be of course a dBpoweramp issue. But both have a ";" in dBPoweramp.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 06:38:37 am »

Yeah, your test worked because you just used the [Artist] tag, while Tyler69 is also populating the [Album Artist] tag.
well fwiw it still works if I do that, i.e.

$ metaflac --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT 01-Intro.flac |grep ARTIST
    comment[20]: ARTIST=2Pac;Word
    comment[21]: ALBUM ARTIST=2Pac;Word
    comment[22]: ALBUMARTIST=2Pac;Word

produces the attached groupings, first one is by [Artist] and the second one by [Album Artist]. The 2nd one is the default view, the 1st one is a view I added just for this purpose.

tyler69

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 06:45:55 am »

Thank you for the effort. What I would like is the structure shown under the "Artist" node, but I do only get the structure under the "Artists" node (in your screenshot). Can't seem to be able to do it.

RD James

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 07:36:31 am »

separating with ";" in the Artist tag leads to a "/" in MC.
Looks like a bug when importing tagged AIFF files.
It does not happen with FLAC files.

tyler69

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:46 am »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up