INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to run JRiver Media Center as a Windows Service  (Read 5372 times)

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
How to run JRiver Media Center as a Windows Service
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:06:41 am »

Just to let people know, that this can be done. I have read a number of posts stating it cannot.

The problem:
Normally, logging into Windows to play media in JRiver is the way most of us do it but sometimes, JRiver is installed on a remote machine and merely streams content to other devices. For example, some media streamers running in my house, get their music from a Virtual Machine running JRiver Media Center. The problem I had was that for Media Center to run required a user to login to run JRiver. Because Windows Updates occur automatically and reboot the VM, streaming hardly ever worked since no-one was logged in. The solution to this would normally be to run the application as a Windows Service, allowing the program to run under its own credentials and not requiring any user to log in. However, such programs need to be designed to run as a Service  because need to interact with the Windows Service Controller. Alas JRiver is not designed as such a program and will therefore not run as a Service directly.

However, the solution is straight forward, what is required is some software that can sit between JRiver and the Windows Service Controller to act as a Service wrapper. Today, I managed to successfully do this so JRiver Media Center will automatically restart following a system reboot and no longer requires any user log in (except to change configuration setting for JRiver itself etc).

What I Did:
Step 1: I downloaded "AlwaysUp" from Core Technologies.com and installed it (www.coretechnologies.com), there is a 30 day trial and also other people who produce "Service Wrapper" type software.

Step 2: Change JRiver to not auto start when a user logs in (since it will be already running as a Service by the time we have finished).

Step 3: Configure "AlwaysUp" to run JRiver (this is pretty straightforward via the their GUI). Key things here are to use the Username and Password of the windows account that is normally used to run JRiver so it picks up the correct library (Services default to use a System Account instead) and let it run as with admin rights, so it can assign itself rights to run as a service.

Step 4: if JRiver Media Center is running, close. The start the Media Center service in "Always Up". Hopefully, you should see the music libraries now appear on the network. If this happens, you can log off (Yes since it is now a Service) and if you want to test, then reboot and check the libraries appear without needing to log in.

Remember, if you need to open JRiver Media Center to make some settings changes, you will need to stop the service first. Then run JRiver, when complete exit it and restart the Service. You may also wish to manually perform JRiver updates rather than automatically, since a pending update will stop the service from starting.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to run JRiver Media Center as a Windows Service
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »

JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:27:42 am »

Great day to you both, all,

I've also been playing a bit around with AlwaysUp.
Indeed it's a straight forward 'wrapper' and offers an easy to configure GUI.

Today's question, maybe I've overlooked something, please let me know where :-)

-Would there be a way to configure the setup so only MC Server is been included and so monitored ?
BUT - I'm referring to the case were you use the same machine (VM W10 x64) to make all adjustments, ripping, tag editing, etc.

During my tests I've been noticing Media Center GUI can't be opened as long as AlwaysUp has MC Server 'under control'.
Means you have to stop from inside AlwaysUp first, then make the modifications, stop MC and launch AlwaysUp again.

The option to allow multiple sessions of Media Center on the server isn't an option neither, as it's granted with read-only access only.

As i do use multiple other MC Clients around the house, with are limited to a MCE or Harmony remote, i prefer editing at the 'Server' VM.

So I'm guessing it's an isolation of the MC Server service towards the Media Center program running at the same machine I'm after ?

Thanks for any hint or suggestion.

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:36:26 am »

Hi Mans

I am not quite sure what you are asking. I thought Media Server can run as a Service anyway under the current JRiver options (Option/Tools/Startup) and so does not need AlwaysUp. I need MC to run to provide DLNA support.

Since Media Center is appears to be a single instance application, it can only run one instance at any time. So if it is running as a Service and a user interactive session is required, then the service must be stopped and Media Center run manually in the normal way. The exit and restart the service.

My use is quite specific; I run a central file server that all MC clients access directly for media and on that file server I also run MC on a multi-homed Virtual Machine that provides DNLA services (it needs to be multi-homed since DNLA cannot traverse network boundaries) to other Devices, which typically run in a different segregated network and so cannot access the File Server directly (for security reasons).

In my case, my desktop does all the configuration, ripping, tag management etc and so the VM I run only monitors the library and provides DNLA functionality (primarily to media streamer devices) so in my case I barely ever log onto it directly.

I also have other MC machines that only play output either via TV or hifi and so each are configured specifically for those.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:53 am »

Great day Maltsters,

Thanks for your reaction.

-A solution which monitors and guaranties me 100% that the MC Server process is kept alive at all time  ;D
Not that i need to restart MC often, but as it's an unmonitored (VM) machine, it would nice to have the server 100% up.

I'm also into the DNLA route. In my case a Sat>Ip server, config at the MC Server (EPG, Recordings, etc) -> 3 MC Clients around the house (NUC's).

Looking from your set-up, my does difference as i need to open MC's GUI when ripping and/or editing tags.
And this is where my second question comes into the picture: opening the GUI onto the same machine which hosts 24/24 MC Server (monitored by AlwaysUp).

Hoping my question is more clear now, sorry  ;D

Cheers.

Cheers.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:23 am »

...opening the GUI onto the same machine which hosts 24/24 MC Server (monitored by AlwaysUp)...

Did you see my reply here:
...clue for you is take a look at MC Tools>Options>Startup>Run on Windows Startup> make sure it's either "Nothing" or "Media Center". Do not include MC Server here, as this setting actually affects the desktop shortcut, not just Windows startup.

EDIT: And/or don't use the MC desktop shortcut to launch the GUI. Use MC23.exe /startup with a batch file, create shortcut to the batch file.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:30 am »

Another thanks Tzr916,

I'll give it another try this evening  :D

Thanks !

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:31:12 am »

I use FireDaemonPro to launch as a service, but it's essentially the same idea.

One note I thought I'd add though.

I noticed that my "Service" would just stop working from time to time. I'd have to restart it.

Turns out, you also must make sure you DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES in MC.

If you don't the service will pop up dialogs asking about updating, but because it's a service you won't see them and the service won't actually load.

infomas

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for anyone visiting it... There is the old fashioned way to automate loading of MC in Windows: The Startup Folder. See all of the info above and then: Change auto start to "Nothing", Have your computer auto log you in (it's easy to Google this), create that batch file (see above), then run "Shell:startup" and drop a link to your batch file into the directory that comes up, MC will auto load the next time you reboot. It will fail with each whole version upgrade, but you just change the batch file and you're all set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up