INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to set up 2.1 setup like this with Asus Xonar Essence STX?  (Read 1335 times)

Joecarrow

Hi All, I thought that I'd searched enough, but I wasn't able to clearly see this. I'm thinking of buying MC, but first I want to get some confirmation that what I want to do is possible.

I have a stereo setup in a small room, and I presently use coax to feed a MiniDSP which takes care of active crossover duties. Unfortunately I still have a lot of room modes and boundary cancellations, and so according the Room EQ Wizard's room simulation it looks like my best bet for filling in a big bass suckout is to put a subwoofer right next to my chair. Room treatment is projected to help, but it looks like I need the sub from ~60-200hz.

So here's what I want to do- I want to use DSP to filter an output to the filler sub, and output that from the analog outputs of the card while continuing to send the SPDIF over digital coax to the MiniDSP. My hope is that I can mess with phase and delay and maybe RePhase for a convolution filter to get everything to play nicely and even out my bass. The main speakers would not be highpassed, so this is a little different from the way I think a lot of people use subs.

The way I *think* this would work is by using zones, and routing those zones to different outputs from the sound card. It sounds like some people use super expensive professional cards to output lots of digital channels, but I'm trying to see if I can do this for only the cost of the software.

If anybody can tell me if this is doable, or if there's anything that I can specifically check on my end before I spend the money, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to set up 2.1 setup like this with Asus Xonar Essence STX?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:30:11 pm »

you can't currently play to 2 zones and expect them to stay in sync, MC24 will have a zonesync feature which should do this but I don't know to what tolerance that will keep things in sync

what you can try instead is creating an aggregate audio device and playing to that, something like asio4all (e.g. http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/digital-recording-and-computers/successful-aggregate-audio-device-windows-7-a-337755/) can do this

however you will still have an audio device sync problem which doesn't appear to be solvable

Joecarrow

Re: Possible to set up 2.1 setup like this with Asus Xonar Essence STX?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:23 pm »

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll keep watching this to see if anything changes. I guess the people who are using MC for an active crossover are just using outputs that can generate >2 outputs from a single device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up