INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combine remotes  (Read 2039 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Combine remotes
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »

Which is the easiest and best remote to put Onkyo MC and tv on
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Combine remotes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:52:08 pm »

With a Harmony remote.

I think the best Harmony remote at the moment, in terms of capability and value for money, is probably the Harmony 650. But the Harmony 350 is cheaper and would still do the job. The other current models seem to add more complexity than value: https://www.logitech.com/en-au/harmony-universal-remotes
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

maid

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »

hubby has bad sight not sure he could operate it? what do you think
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:08:41 am »

There are some large button remote around, but most are very simple, and I don't know if they would work like a Harmony using Activity Based control. i.e. "Watch TV", "Use HTPC", etc. can be activities that turn on the appropriate devices and set the correct inputs and outputs for those devices.
NOTE: I just found out that the Harmony 350 is NOT an Activity Based remote, which is for me the main advantage of the Harmony remotes. So I can't really recommend it anymore, although they say it will control up to eight devices. I just don't know how it works. So the 650 it is then.

As an aside, Logitech seems intent on destroying the Harmony idea and product line. Numpties.

They have a much broader range of offerings in America. The more expensive units have an App that you could probably use on a tablet, hence a large display. But I haven't read enough about them to know if they are just too complex, or even exactly what they will do. Some are aimed at home automation rather than simple Theatre system control.

My glasses are getting stronger and stronger as well. I pretty much use my remote by feel. I'm sure Hubby could as well once he has learned it, although the screen on the 650 may present some challenges. But if you are willing to do some setup you could have different colours on the screen for different functions.

While it may sound silly, once you have the remote you could take a picture of it then edit the image to add large labels. Then take the image to Officeworks and print it on an A4 or even an A3 sheet and laminate it. Hubby could then use it as a cheat sheet until he learned where all the buttons are.

Also take a look at this site. American, but you may find an idea, or they may work in Australia. http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/

Or how about Voice Control. Only one big button required. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/savant-universal-remote-control,news-21714.html

I think Sony has some decent multi-device remotes, but I haven't looked at them.

Really though, I haven't looked hard for ages, because I just keep fixing my Harmony 880 remote. Still going strong years later. Original rechargeable battery and all. :D

Otherwise, Google is your friend.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

maid

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:18:24 am »

what is the difference between the 650 and the 880? I could find 880 on ebay

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:50:53 am »

The 880 is very old. I have fixed three or four buttons, and improved the contacts for charging the battery.

It is a nice remote, but I think any used ones on eBay would be past their useful life.

If you found a good Harmony One on eBay though, that may be worth buying, if cheap. They are also pretty old, but were a nice remote, and an upgrade on the 880. Just don't buy the "Harmony One Ultimate" as they were rubbish.

I only see Harmony 880's on eBay from the USA, so they would have the wrong power pack, cost a lot to ship, and they aren't cheap.
The only Harmony One's I saw were the Ultimate variant, and stupidly expensive, although some are "new". I wouldn't don't buy them.

If you don't like the 650, you would be better off buying the $250 Harmony Companion as shown on the Harmony Australia site: https://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/harmony-companion?crid=60
It would be overkill, and may take a bit to set up, but if you are happy with the price and think it would be better, then I would do that rather than buying secondhand.

You can actually get them for as little as $179 from Scorptec or PC Case Gear, which are retailers I would trust. See http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HARMONY+COMPANION&spos=3

Actually the major electronics stores in Australia are currently selling a Logitech Harmony Ultimate One, which may be different to the old Logitech Harmony One Ultimate. Confusing huh? Anyway, JB Hi Fi, The Good Guys, and Officeworks are all selling some of the Harmony range. Perhaps you could go in and have a look at them?

maid

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 01:12:27 am »

Thanks I will look into the 650
We did have a harmony remote a long time ago but it was just too tecky for Hubby, from memory it was square and touch screen
Pages: [1]   Go Up