INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Menus appear misaligned or on wrong monitor when Displays are not flush  (Read 887 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Hi

Setup:  MC 23.0.103 on macOS 10.13.3; MacPro 5.1; AMD 7970 3GB graphics; five displays; "Displays have separate Spaces" enabled.

It appears that when multiple monitors are not aligned to be flush at the top, it somehow causes MC's menus to always appear on my primary display, regardless of the display the MC window is on. 

EDIT:  The succinct description appears to be: "MC's menus are aligned according to the top of the primary display, rather than the display that contains MC.  If the MC display is below the primary, menus appear on the primary.  If the MC display is above the primary, menus appear too low."

Take a look at these two Displays arrangements:

The only difference is that in the first case, the second monitor from the left is not top-aligned with the primary display, it's down a little.  This is my standard config, which accurately represents the physical positions, meaning my mouse cursor doesn't jump up or down when I move it from one display to the next.

Unfortunately, for some weird reason having the first arrangement above causes MC's menus to appear always on the primary display, regardless of the display on which MC's window actually sits.

Here's a screenshot demonstrating the issue, taken between the 2nd screen from left and the primary:

You can see that clicking on a menu item has created the menu drop down to the right of MC's window, on my primary display instead of the display MC is on.  This has also caused the MC menu to be replicated on the primary display, as if there were MC windows on both displays.  Though the menu dropdown is not aligned with anything, it always appears on the hard top left of the primary.

No other app does this.

For now I am working around the issue by setting my arrangement as per the second one shown above - all displays flush at the top.  But I'd rather not have to always have this, because it doesn't properly align the mouse pointer or dragged windows when they go over the screen boundaries.

Thanks.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: Menus appear on wrong monitor when displays are not aligned
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:46:35 am »

Ah, another symptom:

in the post above I showed a situation where the monitor holding MC was below the primary, which caused the menu to appear always on the primary.

Consider now this case:

The far right monitor is slightly above the primary.   If MC is on this screen and a menu is chosen, it appears on the correct monitor but significantly below where it should be:

You can see that the menu is too low for the display that contains MC, but is correctly aligned for the Primary display.   I therefore assume you're creating the menu/menu items not using the native system (understandable given the need to be multi-platform), and are manually aligning their location according to a measurement of the top of the screen.  But this reading is being taken of the primary display, not the display that actually contains MC.   

Therefore if the primary is lower than the current screen, so too the menu items appear low.   If the primary is higher than the current screen, then it instead causes the menu to display on the primary, because trying to display above the current screen area is not allowed.

Something like that anyway!
Pages: [1]   Go Up