INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rega DAC-R ASIO VS Kernel Streaming  (Read 3479 times)

guitarman

• Recent member
Rega DAC-R ASIO VS Kernel Streaming
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:06 pm »

I've always used the ASIO driver with my Rega DAC-R but it was a lot of frustration. Going from listening to music in Media Center 17 to watching a youtube video. I'd turn off the music in MC and even close it but something doesn't let go of the drive in MC or something. No Windows sounds and youtube or any other application apart from MC works. Usually I'd have to reboot the computer. So I wasn't really looking for an improvement in sound just less hassle.
I tried the WASAPI drives but they didn't even work. So I tried kernel streaming and that worked and played my high res files properly. What I didn't expect was how much better it sounded. A noticeable difference. And best of all I can switch back and forth from MC17 to any other app no problems.

guitarman

• Recent member
Re: Rega DAC-R ASIO VS Kernel Streaming
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »

ah Guess I was wrong. Even in Kernel streaming mode JRiver MC locks the device and will not let go. I played some music with MC17 last night and then closed it when I was finished. Come back today and try to play a youtube video and it won't play. No sounds from any other source. I have to reboot to get it back. I'm gonna have to just completely give up on MC17 as this problem was never solved. When I close the program it should release the device so that I can use it in other apps. That doesn't happen. Glad I didn't waste money upgrading to newer versions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:51:39 pm »

Uncheck Exclusive Mode in the audio device settings.

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »

Uncheck Exclusive Mode in the audio device settings.

I've been looking for that setting for 2 years. I don't think it exists for ASIO or Kernel Streaming. I have another thread about this and the suggestions for where to look don't match up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:21:23 pm »

Try WASAPI. 

The setting is right underneath where you select ASIO or Kernel Streaming.  It should only apply to WASAPI, so I don't know what you're seeing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up