INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray playback over Server is not supported  (Read 2681 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Blu-ray playback over Server is not supported
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:59:09 am »

Is there any chance (or future plans) to support "Blu-ray playback over Server"?

With blu-ray menus now working (in the near future) it would be great to be able to playback those Blu-rays ripped to File Format (on the Server) on my Client machines so I can access the menu. This would be very useful for BDs of TV series where there are are multiple episodes on each disc and using the menu makes it much easier to know which episode order they are in.

Thanks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Blu-ray playback over Server is not supported
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15:52 am »

Since BDs consist of a meriad of small files, this is rather complicated. Its only supported if you setup local file access (which on a local network shouldn't be an impossible obstacle to overcome)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:57 pm »

Sharing works well.  Here is a very old post on how to do it - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57403.0

The basics are:
- Share the folder with the media to get a UNC Path (eg: \\MYPCNAME\Media)
- Import your media from this path (not m:\Media) or use MC to change the path from m:\Media to \\MYPCNAME\Media
- Your client PC's should now be able to see and play all media from \\MYPCNAME\Media
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »

Thanks for the info. I start working on this setup now

When the BD menu feature becomes available to all, I think the UNC path setup instructions will be very useful/desirable to those of us that are not too computer savvy. Perhaps the developers could add a Wiki link available "directly from within the MC program at Tools>Options>Video>Play using BD Menus> {link to BD playback over Server setup instructions}" so that anyone interested in using this new BD menu feature from their Client setup could just click on the link to get the relevant setup info.

If an internal link is too much work, or opens a new can of worms - then perhaps just add the info to the Wiki where it can be easily found (meaning, when you click on the "Wiki link" and get the Wiki MC FAQ page, it should be on that page).
I think the addition of BD menus is a major improvement/feature for us MC video Users and having it work on Client machines is a big plus.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 05:57:13 pm »

I must get around to making this change on my HTPC Server so that I can get BD menus on my Workstation Client. I have been playing Blu-ray full structure rips on my Client for ages, but I see that even with BD menus selected just the movie itself plays. However I was concerned about possible downsides to using the Local File Access setup as media would now be read directly from the share, rather than being streamed by the MC Server. Any comments on that?

Instructions could open a can of worms, because most people, like myself, would not want to re-import everything on the Server to get this capability. So the instructions would need to discuss using RM&CF Find & Replace to find all references to drive letters and replace them with the equivalent UNC paths, because lots of people seem to get stuck on that.

It would also need to include some discussion of using UNC paths when you have multiple locations for media (I have two for TV recordings, two for movies, and two for shows, just because of expanding disk capacity issues).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 06:16:01 pm »

Yup - the info is old and could do with an update.  I'll see what I can put together in the Wiki (there is an entry here but it is pretty brief) and has no pics etc. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 06:18:55 pm »

...also there is two parts if you have a library that spans more than one disc:

Part 1: Using Share(s) (eg making a drive(s) available on the NW for all clients to use), and
Part 2: Pooling Drives if you want ONE logical drive if your media spans more than one physical HDD.  There is no issue in having multiple Shares for each drive but, I certainly find it "easier" to pool all my physical HDD into one logic drive that I then share.

Each of these options however raise complexity of the environment for users.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:58 pm »

...found the part of the Wiki I'll update.  I had added these two pages
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Home_Networking_Examples

, and will expand the Home Networking Examples to include more on UNC and Share.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:52:49 pm »

OK - got this basic in the Wiki - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Home_Networking_Examples (see example 3)

Let me know of what needs changing.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:00:58 pm »

Looks like it might be enough. Good job.

Minor grammar issue at;

3. Check "Play local file..." : On you MC Library Server Clients

should be "your".

I know, grammar nazi.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »

Fixed and No probs at all.  Someone has to keep up the standard and it is certainly not me! :) Thankfully the browser fixed most of my spelling mistakes.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:46 pm »

I use the free version of Grammarly these days. It isn't perfect, and is sometimes downright wrong and a nuisance, but it does pick up some of my grammar errors.  8)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:34 am »

However I was concerned about possible downsides to using the Local File Access setup as media would now be read directly from the share, rather than being streamed by the MC Server. Any comments on that?
I can't think of a downside, the upside is reduced load on the server.

It would also need to include some discussion of using UNC paths when you have multiple locations for media (I have two for TV recordings, two for movies, and two for shows, just because of expanding disk capacity issues).
seems simpler to map the drive(s) with the same letter on each host

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 03:34:20 am »

seems simpler to map the drive(s) with the same letter on each host

Then you have to map    every    single    drive    on    every    single    Client PC....  If you use UNC in the library then you don't have to do anything at the client side at all.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 03:41:14 am »

Then you have to map    every    single    drive    on    every    single    Client PC....  If you use UNC in the library then you don't have to do anything at the client side at all.
yes that's a downside if you have a lot of windows clients, doing a big search/replace in your library is not a zero effort task either though (and more likely to cause problems if that part of the app is unfamiliar to you).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »

Thanks for all the great work you do.

May I suggest you put the link in the "Support>Wiki" home page (which is the FAQ page). That's where people go when they need help - it's the first stop from the Support link on this website.
I did not see your link on that page (under "B" for "Blu-Ray Playback over Library Server", or under the "Network" section. Of course I see in your post above, but I'm just commenting to help others find this info in the future that would have not seen this thread.

Searching is always an option too, but many don't know the terms to search for. I think each error message should have a corresponding link on that Wiki homepage (the FAQ page). IMHO.

Maybe you just didn't get a chance to place a link yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up