INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OPPO UDP-205, DNLA, and Tidal  (Read 2511 times)

lbairn

OPPO UDP-205, DNLA, and Tidal
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »

The purpose of this post is to document my attempt to stream high-resolution audio formats from Tidal and Amazon Prime Music to an OPPO UDP-205, using JRiver Media Center 24 to connect the computer to the OPPO through Ethernet (DLNA).  I was not successful, although I was able to use the USB audio port on the OPPO to accomplish what I needed.  My hope is that others don’t spend countless hours trying to use Ethernet (DLNA) and instead use USB to stream to the OPPO. 
Here’s the setup:
OPPO UDP-205 (UDP20X-60-0625)
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit computer (OS Build 17134.345)
JRiver Media Center 24 (24.0.55)
Tidal Desktop (2.2.2.502 (W:3.4.1—3) (NP:2.5.0.98)
Amazon Desktop (6.8.1.1388)
Ethernet 100BaseT wired

JRiver was configured for a DLNA server connection (Audiophile 24-bit DAC) to the OPPO (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA).   The permissions on one PC directory were set to enable the OPPO to access files on that directory.  In JRiver, in Tools>Options>General>Features, WDM driver was selected and the WDM audio driver was automatically installed on the Windows system (https://wiki/krover.com/index.php/WDM_driver).

Given this setup, here are the things that worked:
1. OPPO was able to access and play music files stored on the PC
2. JRiver was able to access PC audio files and send the stream to the OPPO.  Note that when this method is used to play files, JRiver indicates a stream of type LPC.  No action is required on the OPPO because JRiver takes over the device and streams through the DLNA connection.
3. JRiver was able to stream Internet radio to the OPPO.
4. Amazon and Tidal were able to play music files in their highest resolutions on the local PC and, using the WDM driver, the stream could be looped back through JRiver to play on the PC.

Here’s what did not work:
1. Neither Amazon and nor Tidal were able to stream through JRiver to the OPPO.  The WDM driver was used on the PC to stream to JRiver.  JRiver did “see” the stream as LPC and the OPPO did “see” something because the front panel indicated track 1 at time 0.0, but JRiver also indicated “waiting”, as if there was some type of handshake that was waiting to be received from the OPPO.  To ensure that the PC was not a factor, a second PC was configured, but the results were the same on both PCs.

As I indicated, connecting the computer to the OPPO’s Audio USB port resolved all problems, and I was able to stream from either Amazon or Tidal to the OPPO.  Note, however, that JRiver is not needed in this configuration, and I have not yet tested to determine how JRiver might best be used.   If anyone has suggestions, I’m open to trying to make this work through JRiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up