INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [FEATURE REQUEST] ability ot convert embedded album art.  (Read 2782 times)

ballpein

• Recent member
[FEATURE REQUEST] ability ot convert embedded album art.
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:40:08 pm »

Hello,

I have a Sony Walkman that won't display progressive JPEGs for album art, and in general I'd like to be able to control the size of the images embedded in my audio files.  The process of extracting images, checking for jpeg type and re-compressing is rather tedious.   So, I'd like to request the following features:

1. Have the Image tag in the action area identify progressive JPEGs.
2. Allow me to define parameters for embedded album art: max file size, max image size, compression ratio.
3. Automate conversion to baseline and/or re-compression of album art to meet defined parameters - to my mind, this would be handy to add to the move/rename/copy automation, to fit in with the ingesting workflow.

Thanks for considering.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [FEATURE REQUEST]
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »

I don't know if it will help, but MC can convert a batch of images.  If you have art stored in a directory, you could convert them all.  Just changing the size might trigger what you need.

Select a few, then right click, convert. 

ballpein

• Recent member
Re: [FEATURE REQUEST]
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:56:31 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that.  I hadn't been importing images into MC, but this could help save a step or two and a round trip to another app for conversion - when the album art is in a sidecar file.

But the batch aspect isn't really useful to my case - I'm interested in converting a batch of cover art images from different albums (ie in different directories).  And I'd really like to be able to do this to the image files while they're embedded, not just sidecars.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] ability ot convert embedded album art.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:30:38 pm »

You might be able to remove the images to a cover art directory, convert them, and then do a Quick Find (Cover Art) to get them back into the files.   It would be worth a small test.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:10 pm »

You might be able to remove the images to a cover art directory, convert them, and then do a Quick Find (Cover Art) to get them back into the files.   It would be worth a small test.

Indeed you can, all done in bulk if desired. Also, the image file right-click "Convert or Resize..." function seems to convert JPEGs from Progressive to Baseline, so if the image files are imported into MC they can be quickly converted. It may not do so if the quality or size of the image isn't changed though, as I think MC skips the image in that case. Worth some testing for a simple workflow solution.

Also may require Cover Art settings to be temporarily changed to the Cover Art directory if the setting is normally "Next to file" as well as inside file. So some more testing required, but I did a bit and it worked as a solution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ballpein

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:28 am »

Thanks to both of you.   I will give this some testing as soon as I can and report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up