INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oppo exits manufacturing business  (Read 1982 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Oppo exits manufacturing business
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »

If it is not a 1st April joke, Oppo (I think many people of this forum have an Oppo BD/UHD player) exits this business.

Oppo exits business:
https://www.oppodigital.com/

For me the questions are:

- Will UHD disk survey
- How MC will support UHD format?
- Or is Apple TV the future for streaming video content? If yes are there 4K pcie HDMI input cards to integrate ATV into MC?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

CalJake

• Recent member
Re: Oppo exits manufacturing business
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:13 pm »

Wow.  Really surprising to me.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:07:45 pm »

MC supports UHD now ... content without protection (like deUHD or makeMKV rips)

Protected disc are not supported by MC (never were) ... and there are no third party tools to my knowledge that can remove protection in real time from UHD discs (like DVDfab did for dvds)

MC supports capture cards ... BUT ... most pay streaming require HDCP on HDMI receiving end that protects content ... most capture cards (if not all) don’t have HDCP ... there are ways to work around it (hence lots of UHD rips from HDMI) ... but that’s something MC is not involved in (like MC is not involved in removing protection from DVD and Blu-ray Disc) for obvious reasons
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:20:04 pm »

OPPO was in a niche market due to their pricing. There are many other UHD Blu-ray players out there that work just fine. I do video calibration and most of my customers do not use an OPPO. There is Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, XBox, and LG. Walmart recently was selling the LG UHD players for ~$50. With the ability to now play any UHD disc on the PC, OPPO has even more competition. Not having any apps didn't help OPPO either.

Protected disc are not supported by MC (never were) ... and there are no third party tools to my knowledge that can remove protection in real time from UHD discs (like DVDfab did for dvds)
I have DeUHD and AnyDVD HD and they both remove protection in real time for UHD discs. I can insert a UHD disk and play it immediately.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:51:22 pm »

I have DeUHD and AnyDVD HD and they both remove protection in real time for UHD discs. I can insert a UHD disk and play it immediately.

That is surprising ... as I thought DeUHD work like makeMKV (remove protection while ripping only ... never thought of using it that way) ... AnyDVD removing UHD protection is surprising too

Both surprised are good surprises :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:35:35 am »

Oppo is a Chinese company who is primarily in the phone business these days.  They decided that the audio market was just not profitable anymore. There are just too many good enough Blu-Ray players available for much less than their prices.  They thrived when BR was new and they could out-innovate everyone and users would pay for that innovation.  Things have moved on - and so have they.  Thanks to them for all they did for us.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:23:45 am »

I really hate to see them go. I wanted an Oppo for many years but could not see paying the price until they came out with the UDP-203. I bought one last year and cannot believe how good a player it is. I am using it with my Integra DTR70.4 and LG OLED B65 and the picture and sound quality is fantastic. Most of my Bluray's look almost as good as the UHD disc's when played through the Oppo and upscaled. Even regular DVD's look great. I just hope they continue to offer firmware updates to keep up with the new copy protections that keep coming out. I know many people complain about issues with the 203 but I have not had one problem with mine. If anyone is on the fence about buying one, better get one while you still can. As for the lack of streaming, for me that is a non issue. most every smart TV sold today has streaming capabilities.
One of these days when I get time, I want to try playing MC through the HDMI input on the Oppo as it has a very capable DAC.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:29 pm »

The Cambridge CXUHD uses the same Mediatek platform as the Oppo, and has comparable quality. They maintain that it will stay in development.

Can be more costly depending on location however.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 02:10:16 am »

Very sad.  The Oppo does so much more than just spinning discs - moveable subtitles being a big one for me with a 2.35:1 screen - but even bigger is two way RS232 - the Oppo reports changes to audio codecs/colourspaces as they occur - I pick up these strings and then automate my cinema based on them.   Oh, and it interfaces great with JRiver for DLNA. No other player I'm aware of does all these things.  Guess I'll have to grab some spares!

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:43 am »

Not having any apps didn't help OPPO either.

I was so happy that they bailed on the apps.  Being a bit of purist, I wanted just a straight standalone bluray/uhd player with a clean interface and that's what I got.

apps frankly were pointless since the TV, PC, streaming devices, game console all pretty much have the same set of apps.

Ultimately I think Oppo is an early casualty of streaming and the business just didn't turn a profit, or significant enough profit to make it worthwhile continuing to focus resources on it when they could be better utilized elsewhere.

I need to find a backup to my BDP-105; in case it fails, so I won't be SOL with backing up SACD.  Already have a few UHD compatible drives for the same reason...  These new capabilities to backup up discs are very hardware dependent at this time.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:40:01 am »

I mostly use the Oppo BDP-105D as a network player, HDMI switch, listening to Tidal, watching netflix and listening / watching Berliner Concert hall

I do not spin too many discs (DVD, SACD, BRs) with it (I ripped SACD ISO since the 105D has the right mediatek chipset capable of this  8) )

It is a pity they are going out of of business ... maybe they are feeling that music and movies stored on a physical format has ended their days ...
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature
Pages: [1]   Go Up