INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename movie cover art title  (Read 1778 times)

jwk246

• Recent member
Rename movie cover art title
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »

Seems like this should be so simple to do, but after searching and trying everything I could think of I'm at a loss.
I ripped the Bluray LBJ, but when it created the title under the movie cover art it came up as 'Lbj' instead of 'LBJ'. I don't know why, I've ripped 700+ blurays in my collection, this is the first time this has happened. The directory on the hard drive where the rip resides is in all caps, just not the movie cover art in Video=>Movies screen. I right-clicked on the cover art but the 'Rename  F2' option in the context menu is greyed out. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, I have another unrelated naming issue, I'd like to rename the subdirectory where a movie I ripped resides; the movie name is correct in the movie cover art, but the rip subdirectory has the same directory that the originally bluray had, which does not reflect in any way what the movie's name is... can this be done without deleting what I have and re-ripping the movie again?

Thanks for any help

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename movie cover art title
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »

Try F6 within MC to rename any media item. It can be configured to use the meta data tags.

Check the wiki for the associated guidance. Powerful function. Worth understanding in detail.

F12 is darn handy too.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:38:31 pm »

I did read thru the wiki, I didn't see anything that specifically was about the 2 instances I mentioned. Will re-read it, and try your suggestions as well- many thanks astromo

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:01:58 pm »

On the LBJ issue, if I understand what you are saying correctly, the title case "Lbj" is just the [Name] tag. Edit that tag using the Tag Acton Window to be LBJ. Done.

Note: No, you can't right-click on a movie thumbnail and rename the movie, as MC doesn't know which tag you want to edit. (The Rename function would be more correctly named "Edit", as it enables editing of editable tags associated with a file.) In the Details view you can right-click and edit the [Name] tag, or as above use the Tag Acton Window.

As Astromo said, F6 to rename the Blu-ray directory. I do this all the time as part of my workflow for ripping Blu-rays.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »

@ RoderickGI-
I fixed the LBJ issue with right click on the movie cover art => "get movie & tv info... " then editing the title on that page... normally that gets edited to whatever I named in the "rip" window, which also names the folder the rip goes into at the same time; this time only the rip folder got named correctly, the movie cover art did not. Not what you said to do, but it worked. Didn't read your message until after I'd done this.

For the F6 example, do you mean use the 'Find & Replace' option at the bottom of the 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' popup window?

Thanks for the help guys

Edit: Looking at the Wiki, 'Find & Replace' doesn't seem to be right.

I guess it should be 'Rename', but what's throwing me is the "moves files if directory changes" part.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:24:45 pm »

Well, the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function will work, because it downloads new metadata for the movie including the name. But you will only get whatever data is on the source site, which may not capitalise names the way you want, for future reference. Also, that was overkill for what you needed.

If I understand what you were seeing, it isn't the movie Cover Art name, it is the movie Name, which is shown below the thumbnail image in the movie View. The Cover Art doesn't have a name specifically. The Cover Art file name is the same as the movie name, with the appropriate extension.

The Rename feature. MC considers it a move even if it is just a rename, because it is really a move. Just check the change that MC shows it is going to do before you hit OK.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:02:54 pm »

Well, the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function will work, because it downloads new metadata for the movie including the name. But you will only get whatever data is on the source site, which may not capitalise names the way you want, for future reference. Also, that was overkill for what you needed.

If I understand what you were seeing, it isn't the movie Cover Art name, it is the movie Name, which is shown below the thumbnail image in the movie View. The Cover Art doesn't have a name specifically. The Cover Art file name is the same as the movie name, with the appropriate extension.

Yes, you understand what I was seeing, I didn't know exactly the association between cover art file and the name, other than it defaults to a name when you download it and if you change the name you want to give the rip MC will change that default name to be the same- which is how it's worked for 700+ rips, until now. Perhaps an 'undocumented feature', but it's always worked that way in every version of MC I've used. The default name is the same as the one used in the movie synopsis database, and that's where the cover art comes from also. The rip name I decide to use also becomes the name of the folder the rip is stored in, which worked as usual this time, just the name under the cover art didn't change.

The Rename feature. MC considers it a move even if it is just a rename, because it is really a move. Just check the change that MC shows it is going to do before you hit OK.

I'm a little confused about this statement- maybe it's because I'm thinking of a 'move' in the physical sense, and you're speaking about it in a virtual sense. That is to say, the files will remain in the same physical place on the disc, and when one subfolder's name changes, MC sees that change as a different location, even though it's in the same physical location.
At any rate, what I think you're telling me to do is:

go to 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files'

in the 'Preview' window, the entry:
Rename  M:\Videos\BD Movies\Evbrd333269\BDMV\index.bdmv  <no change>     {this line is highlighted}

Under 'Please fill in the base path and naming template you want to use for renaming your files.'

Select 'Rename (moves files if directory changes)' from dropdown menu

NOW HERE'S WHERE I'M JUST GUESSING:

Tick the 'Find & Replace' box
'This allows you to change a path by replacing something like C:\Music\ with D:\Music\.'

Find What: M:\Videos\BD Movies\Evbrd333269\BDMV\index.bdmv

Replace With: M:\Videos\BD Movies\Jeff Beck Performing This Week at Ronnie Scotts\BDMV\index.bdmv

Click 'OK' button

Okay, have I got this right, or have I gone completely off the rails???

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 02:55:33 am »

In regard to changing the [Name] tag while ripping a Blu-ray, the feature you are using is documented: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray_Ripping
The [Name] tag is referred to as the "Title" in that article. But same thing. The Title is what is used to look up movie information in the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function.

In regard to my statement about rename, consider first that when moving a file from directory A to directory B using Windows Explorer, all that actually happens is that the indexing information for that file is changed from A to B. There is no physical data move involved. This is true for any filesystem, on any physical memory device (hard drive, USB stick, memory card, etc.) that I'm aware of (okay, there are some exceptions, but let's not go there). It is only when a file is moved from one physical memory device to another that the data actually gets moved. Or in fact the data gets copied, and the original deleted, which actually means that the index information is discarded on the source device.

So yes, I am speaking the virtual sense, and I am not restricting that to MC. It is generally true; A file's subdirectory rename and a file move are synonymous.

Consider that MC has to cope with all sort of uses of the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function.

Let's say a user has one movie stored in "M:\Videos\Movies\2010\" called MovieA, and a user wants the movie to be in a directory called "M:\Videos\Movies\MovieA (2010)\". Using the RM&CF function, that would be considered a rename of the sub-directory the file is in.

Now let's say a user has three movies stored in "M:\Videos\Movies\2010\" called MovieA, MovieB, and MovieC. The user wants his movies in a sub-directory based on tags of "\[Name] ([Year])\". As each movie has a different name, each will be put into a different directory, such as "\MovieA (2010)\", "\MovieB (2010)\", "\MovieC (2010)\". That would be considered a move. Or was that a move of movies B & C, and a rename of the originating directory "\2010\" to "\MovieA (2010)\"?

The answer is it doesn't matter. They are all just changes to the file indexing information... But if there were 200 movies in the "M:\Videos\Movies\2010\" sub-directory, and only three were being changed, then all three would be considered as being moved, and not having their sub-directories renamed. It has been explained once before on the forum that in fact, that is what MC does for all renames; it "moves" the files and if necessary cleans up the empty sub-directory left behind.

Anyway...

You still used the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function the hard way, or the way that while quick and easy, doesn't show the power of the function. You really need to read and understand the Wiki article on the function: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

First, using the "Find & Replace" feature you could have just said;

Find What: Evbrd333269

Replace With: Jeff Beck Performing This Week at Ronnie Scotts

Unless you have other files or directories with the name "Evbrd333269", that would have found just the movie sub-directory, and that would have moved the movie to its new sub-directory. Much less typing, and much less prone to data entry error.

But the real power in the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function is that you could have used the tags MC knows about to rename or move the movie, in which case you can move many movies at once as part of a workflow. Just tick the Directories box, put "M:\Videos\BD Movies\" in the "Base Path" box, then put "[Name]\" (without quotes of course) in the "Rule" box. Then untick the "Filename" and "Find & Replace" boxes. If the [Name] tag of the movie was "Jeff Beck Performing This Week at Ronnie Scotts", that would have given you the same result.

Even better, if that is always the way you want to save a movie, then you can set up a Preset, which is just a template, with those settings, and reuse it any time you need to, just by selecting the Preset. For example I rip blu-rays using an external application, so I need to move the result to the correct directory. I have a Preset that sets the parameters to;

Dropdown selection: Rename (moves files if directory changes)
Move all files in folder: unticked
Directories: F:\Movies\
Rule: [Name] ([Year])\
Filename: [Name] ([Year])    (which has no effect on Blu-ray file naming, so I can use this Preset with all movie file types)
Find & Replace: unticked

This works very well for me.

Why would you bother with the little bit of extra work? Again, much less typing, much less chance of data entry error, and reuseability of the rules via Presets.

I understand though as you are ripping using MC, you don't need to move movies often, so the above isn't required usually. But it is good to understand the functionality available to you. Who knows, you may decide to move all your movies to a different directory structure at some time, and the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function can do that easily, if it is understood.

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 09:03:53 pm »

RoderickGI,

I apologize for not responding until now, especially after you took the time to write a very detailed response to my post. For the past week and a half I've been fully immersed in getting my paperwork organized and filing my taxes which are painfully complicated due to several life-changing events. Uncle Sam accepts no excuses, so that has completely taken up all my time. After that I had to clean up and organize the supporting documents and file them away in case I have to revisit this subject in the future. And after taking one additional 'mental health' day, I'm finally back. Many thanks for your time and help, it's a very detailed explanation and I'm going to work on putting into effect now. Again, thank you for your help and sorry I didn't get back to you before now after all the time and effort you put into it. I see MC24 has arrived and it looks like it has a lot of great new additions and I'm looking forward to getting it downloaded and installed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up