INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving my presets for columns as default?  (Read 4200 times)

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
Saving my presets for columns as default?
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:42:36 pm »

I am talking about the columns like album name, artist, track, genre etc.
Every time I open MC23 MAC the columns are back to the original config. I can save my preset, select it, close MC23 & when I reopen it, the same album has the old column config. The "Auto size columns" needs to be selected each time as well & I have it checked in "Tree & View". What am I missing?
Kev

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Saving my presets for columns as default?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:08:39 pm »

Every time I open MC23 MAC the columns are back to the original config. I can save my preset, select it, close MC23 & when I reopen it, the same album has the old column config. The "Auto size columns" needs to be selected each time as well & I have it checked in "Tree & View". What am I missing?
Kev

Can someone please address this question. I can't find out if this is even possible. All I want to do is make my column preferences the default instead of having to select "My Preset" every time I use MC23. I don't find any reference to this in the Wiki & whenever I post the question I get ZERO answers!
Frustrated,
Kev

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:31 pm »

Apologies for your frustration.
I saw your question when you first posted it, and was honestly, a bit blank over it, so left it for someone else to answer. The forum moves that fast, it dropped off the recent posts page very quickly, and, again, with brutal honesty... I forgot all about you :)

A bump such as you have done is a good idea in these cases.
So, to your question... I may still not be much help here, but it may provoke some more helpful responses. For the record, I don't use a MAC, so if any of this stuff is different on a MAC, someone who knows really needs to jump in...

Got it. Could you expand a little (screenshot is the best) on where you see this problem? Is it everywhere? Library views? Panes or categories view? Playlists views?

Every time I open MC23 MAC the columns are back to the original config. I can save my preset, select it, close MC23 & when I reopen it, the same album has the old column config.
This doesn't sound right, and is probably why you've received no response so far. Normally, once you set your columns, either manually or by applying a saved preset, they stick. My gut feeling is that whatever is causing this issue for you has to be something at your end, rather than an issue with MC itself, otherwise, there would be a lot more noise on the forum about it. eureka moment? Are you using an MC client connecting to an MC server? If so, then this is exactly the behaviour I would expect. To make your change persistant, you would need to make it on the server instance of MC, and this would then be pushed out to all connecting clients, everytime they connect. If you're not in a server/client situation, then we're back to "This doesn't sound right..."

The "Eureka moment" came as I thought about where MC saves these things, and I'm almost certain that they're a part of the library, and you must have write access to your library folder otherwise you would be seeing a whole world of other issues. If you're not client/server, I'm pretty much out of ideas here.

The "Auto size columns" needs to be selected each time as well & I have it checked in "Tree & View". What am I missing?
Client/server setup? See, I'm pinning all my hopes on this being the case here :D
Also have a look at "Tree & View > Advanced > allow auto size to cut off long values"
I believe it's checked by default, maybe, you don't want that?

-marko.

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:55 pm »

Thanks for noticing this bump. I am having problems inserting images. Can you specify the preferred method? I have the screen shots in a drop box, but everything I have tried does not display in the preview, so I must be missing something. They are png files, is that alright?
Thanks,
Kev

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:04:35 pm »

I assume from this that you are not using MC in a client/server environment?

There's not really a preferred method, just what works for you, and there are many and varied options available... Here are a couple:
If you use the full blown reply option, rather than the 'quick reply' box at the foot of the thread, you will see, near the bottom, left, "Attachments and other options"...

Click on that to expand it, then attach the png files to your post.

Alternatively, dropbox should allow you to create sharing links to the files which could also be posted for us to click on. These would open in dropbox, but would still get the job done.
I don't think dropbox allows direct insertion via BBCode "IMG" tags.

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »

OK, I was using the Quote method & could not find the attachment button.
The first image is after a fresh launch of MC23. Next view is after I right click the column heading > Presets > My Preset.
The 3rd shot is after I close MC23 & restart it & go to the same album.
I am running MC23 on a Mac Mini High Sierra & everything is local, USB drive, USB DAC etc. Very simple configuration. Tree & View has following checked Auto size columns, & under advanced Allow auto size to cut off long values (which I want).

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:47:40 pm »

Aha, you're in an artist/album view, drilling down into the tree?
I'm pretty sure that this way, columns are defined at the top level and propagate down through the tree levels, so I think the answer here is to set the columns in the root view, then close reopen MC and hopefully now, all of the album's you browse to should have your preferred columns.

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 06:14:31 pm »

Aha, you're in an artist/album view, drilling down into the tree?
I'm pretty sure that this way, columns are defined at the top level and propagate down through the tree levels, so I think the answer here is to set the columns in the root view, then close reopen MC and hopefully now, all of the album's you browse to should have your preferred columns.
I don't understand. When I am viewing the specific album, this is the only place I see the columns that I am setting as my preset. I don't see any other view that shows the columns, Name Artist Album Genre etc. I hope I'm not being obtuse, but it's just not obvious to me where else to make the changes.
Thanks for sticking with me,
Kev

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:33:18 am »

Good morning...

I figured the easiest way to show you around this was to knock out a quick video... I was wrong :)
I now think that you may have found a bug in the program as I could not get a column preset to stick.

Every time I drilled into the tree, the columns reset to defaults.

The video is four or five minutes long, shows the perceived bug, and offers an alternative browsing method in the meantime, whilst we wait for confirmation on the bug, or guidance as to what we are both getting wrong :)

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/n79OzoziEWU

-marko

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:03:25 am »

Good day Marko,
Thanks so much for working on this. I was feeling like I was the only one who cared. Well, maybe I am, but at least I know that I am not crazy or doing something wrong. Thanks also for the alternate browsing method. It may end up that I prefer this method! I used to struggle with getting back to the top of the tree when I had drilled down into Artists & wanted to switch to Genres for instance. It would be nice to see those headings across the top of the screen for quick access.
Thank again & I will be trying the new browsing setup today. I should probably spend more time customizing MC, but I don't know what is possible. I would love to see a forum topic where people show their configuration & what settings were chosen. Like you did in the video. Thanks again for that.
Regards,
Kev

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »

We're not able to reproduce any bugs running the latest version on Windows.

Are you?

We create a column default called "Artist First".  Then we set the list style for the top list to details, load the preset.  Then we load the preset for the bottom list.  We restart and MC is just where we left it.

Any other clues?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:17:49 pm »

After a quick test just now, using a standard panes view, I couldn't reproduce either. I have no time left so will try properly later this afternoon. IIRC, the columns would reset after drilling into the tree and selecting something from the tree list at the end of the branch.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 11:46:51 am »

I don't know what to say...

I keep a "Library for testing stuff" here. It's a clean, default MC library. No custom fields, no expression magic. Just the same files is all.

I go to "Audio > Artists" and it opens with the thumbs up top and the file list open down below. I load a column preset for the file list.

Next, I drill down and select an artist. The list is now using default columns, so I load the same preset as before.
Next, still in the tree, I pick an album, and the list is again showing default columns, so I load the preset again.
Finally, I go back 'up top' and select the root "Artists" again, and, yup, file list columns are back to default.

All of the above done from a running MC, switch library and test. No relaunching performed at all.

When I relaunch MC, it loads at "Last Location" ie., "Artists" and the preset columns are displaying.
Drill in and select an artist.... columns are back to default.
Select an album... columns are back to default.
Go back up to "Artists"... columns are back to default.

Personally, I never use the tree this way, so I never bump into it, but it's definately happening. I don't know why.
In these quick tests I just ran through, I didn't even look at the columns behind the thumbnails... They should be independent of each other anyway, right?

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up