INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can the ".1" in 5.1 be redirected into 5.0?  (Read 2231 times)

HamDog

• Recent member
Can the ".1" in 5.1 be redirected into 5.0?
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:02:15 pm »

By redirected I mean added back to the front L/R?  I realize this is generally a function of the pre/pro, but was wondering if there was a way to do it through JRiver.  I have 5 speakers (no sub).  I understand this wouldn't be possible with DSD, only PCM. 

Thanks!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can the ".1" in 5.1 be redirected into 5.0?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:25 pm »

I don't think there is a built in mixing from 5.1 to 5.0

you could do it manually using https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing though

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »

Wouldn't you just set up DSP Studio > Output Format > Subwoofer > Silent (don't use subwoofer in downmix)  ?

That way any low frequencies shouldn't be lost and if you don't have a .1 connected, it shouldn't make any difference.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:58:47 pm »

Wouldn't you just set up DSP Studio > Output Format > Subwoofer > Silent (don't use subwoofer in downmix)  ?

That way any low frequencies shouldn't be lost and if you don't have a .1 connected, it shouldn't make any difference.
"Silent (don't use subwoofer in downmix)" is an option for output formats below 5.1 and without a .1, for 5.1 (or 2.1 or 7.1 and beyond) it becomes "Silent (use Room Correction to redirect bass to a subwoofer)"

I think what the OP wants is really "Silent (mix subwoofer into downmix)" but I suspect that is an option that would require further tweaking to choose which channels you want to mix it into

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:38 pm »

One of these days I should design that fancy advanced mixing dialog that lets you turn individual channels on and off and whatnot. One can dream...
Right now the only method to do this would be with PEQ.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:25:20 am »

Right now the only method to do this would be with PEQ.
And if you're not sure about that, what you would do is:
1. Add an "Adjust Volume" DSP which reduces the volume of all channels by 6.01 dB
2. Add five "Mix" DSPs which adds the LFE channel to every other channel. (it would be nice if that could be done in a single rule)

This assumes that you also have JRSS mixing set to low-pass the LFE channel at 120Hz, as is standard.
I think 6.01 dB is the correct amount here to prevent clipping since you are only summing two channels together, but it's been a while since I've done any mixing.

stewart_pk

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 01:51:17 am »

And if you're not sure about that, what you would do is:
1. Add an "Adjust Volume" DSP which reduces the volume of all channels by 6.01 dB
2. Add five "Mix" DSPs which adds the LFE channel to every other channel. (it would be nice if that could be done in a single rule)

This assumes that you also have JRSS mixing set to low-pass the LFE channel at 120Hz, as is standard.
I think 6.01 dB is the correct amount here to prevent clipping since you are only summing two channels together, but it's been a while since I've done any mixing.

As per the first post the thread starter wants LFE mixed into Front L and R, not every channel!

RD James

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 03:12:57 am »

As per the first post the thread starter wants LFE mixed into Front L and R, not every channel!
I returned to this much later after I had read the post, so I overlooked that when writing a reply.
Nothing really changes, you just mix it to L/R rather than L/R/C/Ls/Rs.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:21:31 am »

is this for music or film content? I guess music given the mention of DSD

If you want to verify that it is working as expected then there is a description of how to measure what DSP studio is doing in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio though you can also use the analyser view to get a quick idea.

stewart_pk

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:43 pm »

I returned to this much later after I had read the post, so I overlooked that when writing a reply.
Nothing really changes, you just mix it to L/R rather than L/R/C/Ls/Rs.

Could one use Room Correction to push Centre, Surround Left and Surround Right into Subwoofer? Would this end up in the Left and Right if output format is set to 4.0 or 5.0?

EDIT: I don't think so.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:47:44 am »

Could one use Room Correction to push Centre, Surround Left and Surround Right into Subwoofer?
What are you trying to achieve with this?

stewart_pk

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:25:19 am »

Move bass from small speakers (surrounds) to large speakers (mains).

RD James

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:06 am »

Move bass from small speakers (surrounds) to large speakers (mains).
I think you would have to use the Parametric EQ to copy the surround channel to one of the user channels, low-pass it, and add that to the left/right channel.
Then use Room Correction to high-pass the surround channels and discard low frequencies.

I'm not sure that you would get good results from it however.
You're probably better off just moving LFE to the front left/right channels and high-passing the surrounds without redirecting the low frequencies.

stewart_pk

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:26 am »

I think you would have to use the Parametric EQ to copy the surround channel to one of the user channels, low-pass it, and add that to the left/right channel.
Then use Room Correction to high-pass the surround channels and discard low frequencies.

I'm not sure that you would get good results from it however.
You're probably better off just moving LFE to the front left/right channels and high-passing the surrounds without redirecting the low frequencies.

Thanks for your replies and I can see how what you suggested would work.

What I'm trying to do is the best way to output 4.0 with my L and R being large to handle LFE and my SL and SR being small with no LFE and I'd like to direct bass from them to the L and R. Although I can see as you point out, there might not be much difference/point to doing more then just removing bass from SL and SR. My digital interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 which is a 6 channel input USB device.

I've just upgraded from 2.0 to 4.0 speakers and this is a work in progress with getting JRiver settings how I want and how I think should be done. I need to point out that I don't want any up-mixing from let's say a 2.0 video soundtrack to 4.0.

I've had a bit of a play with the JRiver settings and it appears there are many ways to skin a cat, but I think what I've got works. I think the screen shots say many words. Regarding the second screen shot, that is the Room Correction setting for both SL and SR with all other channels untouched. Regarding the third screen shot, I've silenced both the Centre and Subwoofer because my digital interface takes 6 channels but I only have 4 speakers so I though it would be good practice; by the time they are silenced they should be mixed into L and R appropriately.

Suggestions welcome!

RD James

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:27 am »

A few months ago there was discussion about adding an option that would restrict mono/stereo sources to the L/R channels while allowing mixing for >2 channel formats to be handled by JRSS, but nothing seems to have been implemented yet.

Until that happens, the easiest solution is probably to set up separate stereo and multichannel zones using Zone Switch.
Unfortunately, there's still no way to group zones like that together so that they share the same playlist but can only output to one zone at a time rather than synchronized playback.

stewart_pk

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 08:01:51 pm »

A few months ago there was discussion about adding an option that would restrict mono/stereo sources to the L/R channels while allowing mixing for >2 channel formats to be handled by JRSS, but nothing seems to have been implemented yet.

Until that happens, the easiest solution is probably to set up separate stereo and multichannel zones using Zone Switch.
Unfortunately, there's still no way to group zones like that together so that they share the same playlist but can only output to one zone at a time rather than synchronized playback.

That idea for a new 2.0 option makes sense.

I think and hope I've got around that particular problem by setting output to 5.1 channels, selecting the For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1 and selecting Subwoofer as Silent (use Room Correction to redirect bass to subwoofer). But I really need to test 2.0 sources with this setup now.

Along with your suggestion two things I'd like to see changed are Bass Management gets removed from Room Correction to become a DSP option on it's own and for Bass Management to allow movement of bass to L and R.

stewart_pk

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:15 pm »

I've now tested a 2.0 track from a Video source and it seemed OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up