INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.198 beta  (Read 7610 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.198 beta
« on: June 12, 2003, 01:56:24 pm »

Please read VERY carefully. This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:  

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):  

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91198.exe  

(backup your library before installing)

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.  

History

1. NEW: Z skin is back.
2. NEW: Added support for WIA compatible devices. (Kodak camera users, That one is for you.)
3. NEW: Introduced new library browsing system. (see other thread for more details)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: Media Center 9.1.198 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 02:07:27 pm »

When viewing the keywords field via the new library system, the selections in there are not working properly. Most of the time it shows nothing, sometimes it shows all files but never my selection (e.g. "Easy Listening")

This is the semi column seperated field
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 02:08:05 pm »

If I add a custom field (whatever type), The values I put in there are not saved (I turned on the selection "store in tags when possible")

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 02:08:45 pm »

- When starting TV via hairstyle, the channels listed there are not the ones that are played when you push enter on one of them. via Playing now it works.

- It would be nice if you go to the TV section in hairstyle, that we have the option to record TV or start time shifting direct from the TV menu without having to navigate all the way to display options

- in hairstyle, would it be possible to alsno navigate thru playlists i.s.o. just playing them ?

- Can't there be a button to push in hairstyle to play a selected item (e.g. 1980's) without having to start selection first ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »

• MC is filtering out all mini-me skins.
  • The Installer doesn't filter out any skins at all, which could allow a user to select an invalid skin at install time.
  • Grouping Levels (A-C. D-F, etc) are broken in this build.
  • Although files are sorted by Track #, Media Library sends them to Playing Now in alphabetical order by Name when you right click on an artist or album and choose Play.
  • The Content View Pane takes a really long time to update now.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 02:14:29 pm »

I have a BPM view scheme, it shows two columns of BPM in the new library system

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 02:15:51 pm »

Rating view scheme is not working properly in new library system

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 02:18:23 pm »

2. NEW: Added support for WIA compatible devices. (Kodak camera users, That one is for you.)

Thank you!  That was fast!

Scott-

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 02:19:39 pm »

I have an images scheme view with self made custom fields of year, month.

These are numbers like e.g. "2003".

I notice that the new library system has difficulties with handling fields with numbers in it. (it doesn't show the correct selections, e.g. I select the year 2003 and still get pictures from 2000)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 02:21:25 pm »

I have a view scheme Actor/Name for my videos.

Actor is a list field (semi column seperated).

I get no selections if I click an Actor

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 02:29:42 pm »

Confirm grouping is not working properly in this build.  It was working in the last prototype build.  By this I mean clciking a grouped entry does not then filter down the group.
Still no right click task bar menu
Decade/Album scheme -  when decades clicked MC shows nothing in the year column or the Album column
Number fields have messed up again.  Again these had been fixed in the last two prototype builds.  I have a custom scheme based on my own fields Series/Series #/Episode #.  In the protype I could click on Simpsons then series 1 and the bottom pane showed all series 1.  clicking on episode 1 then showed just episode 1 in the bottom pane it now shows all episodes.  I only have one episode of series 2 thats episode 1.  clicking on simpsons series 2 in the first two columns gives me 1,2,5,9,12,13 in the last column.  These episodes dont exist for series 2
Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 02:46:45 pm »

Don't understand whether it is a bug or simply do not check how it should work:

Have a view scheme group /view scheme defined as follows:

view scheme group "Arts": media type=image, genre=arts
view scheme "Galleries": Country/Gallery/Artist/Name

In the Country view I get all countries. When I select a country such as France, I assume I should see all Galleries belonging to France, but I see only <all> in the Gallery view, same <all> in the Artist and Name view.

Selecting a Gallery I should see all artists belonging to this gallery, and selecting an artist I should see all his paintings. But I am unable to make those selections, as there is only <all> displayed.

As these are user specific fields, it does not seem to work properly here! Country belongs to the Extended group, while Gallery belongs to the General group.

If you do not understand, I can send screenshots!

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 02:48:35 pm »

Its a bug Jaguu.  Grouped fields are not working properly in this build.  They worked okay in the last prototype

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2003, 02:49:59 pm »

OMG, it's going more jumpy browsing system.  :'(  It's hard to track what I'm doing now.  I click in one window, then need to watch another window to confirm the result and need to watch original window to do another thing...  It's tough to do that for me.  I wish I could get back old way.  Is there any configuration option for that?

Another thing regarding to internationalization, I've noticed "Display plugin -> Track Info" doesn't show Japanese string correctly although all other windows work fine.  I guess the font used in Track Info window caused this problem.  Is it possible to use the same fonts what other windows are using?

Thanks.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2003, 02:51:28 pm »

If you drag n drop files rendering a field empty the field remains in view but empty.  Could there be an option to remove it like the option to remove empty folders after a delete.  I presume it is removed if you naviagte away from the view and back but would be cleaner if it was removed straight away

Adam

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2003, 03:00:19 pm »

Suggestion: Maybe if there was an option in the options for how to navigate. To make more or less field boxs, or to totally customize it. because in some cases or situations the tree worked out perfect. or a album/artist/year customized setup would be better.  a feature like this would truelly take this program farther.

-equalizer

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2003, 03:00:44 pm »

Importing tagged image files with user defined fields into a new library does not create and import the user defined fields. You have to create the fields first.

This has never worked in any version 9, but now it becomes time consuming to recreate all the user defined fields for each new library you create.

Basically, this is a reminder! Importing tagged files with user defined fields into a new library should adapt the database scheme automatically.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2003, 03:01:26 pm »

Just got the new Beta.  Love the new look.  I'm not sure if this is part of the new view schemes, but I no longer have YEAR as a selectable column in the Media Library.  And I've also had a problem using the Rating view scheme, but I saw that mentioned in an earlier post.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2003, 03:03:05 pm »

Suggestion: Maybe if there was an option in the options for how to navigate. To make more or less field boxs, or to totally customize it. because in some cases or situations the tree worked out perfect. or a album/artist/year customized setup would be better.  a feature like this would truelly take this program farther.

It uses your view schemes, so just add or edit a new view scheme.  (that process may get streamlined in a future beta)

To discuss more about the new library system, check here:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1055457585
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2003, 03:10:40 pm »

Changing the tags got Overeasy with the new browser.

I know that my wife has been encountering this problem, she will encounter it even more with the new browser.

It could be nice to add a simple switch, that protects all tag from changes.

I thought party mode would do it, but it does not?

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2003, 03:12:51 pm »

When grouped by letters, selection on letter groups does not restrict the list on its right hand side.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2003, 03:15:48 pm »

I noticed there is now a back button in the thumbs pane in HS for all views.  Could this have in an icon in Thumb mode as at the moment it shows the default no thumb icon and looks a bit strange

Adam

Flobalob

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2003, 03:41:38 pm »

Z skin has no repeat, shuffle or DSP icons next to the volume.

No right click customizing of toolbar.

My left explorer pane will no longer expand artist, album, etc. or any subfolders of 'Audio'. Is this intentional since they are now in separate windows?

New interface is very cluttered compared to 9.0. I'm not quite sure what the advantage is supposed to be. I much prefered 9.0.

PS... The 'year' column is also missing, it is not even in the 'Visible columns...' list

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2003, 03:53:22 pm »

Does the New interface not like dash characters?

I have an Artist scheme, with just Artist as a category. Clicking on any artist shows all songs for the artist, but clicking on Run-DMC results in all tracks in the database being displayed.

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2003, 04:53:27 pm »

Ditto to funnyguy1964's bug, and it's doing this with both artists and albums for me. I assume the problem extends to all fields.

On a seperate note, it seems to me that while all this fun interface redesign is going on, it would be the perfect time to implement customizable folder/filename locations for uploads to hard-drive MP3 players! If it's not the right time, that's OK, but I just don't want anyone to forget about my pet feature!

See this thread.

Thanks,
Joshua

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2003, 05:02:35 pm »

• The new views don't like "-"s
  • Filename (Path) should be parsed in the new view (Customizable to a max depth)
  • I saw a Recent Playing Now's ... what was that, and how do those get populated?
  • I would like to have the option to have the Properties pane back on the right side ... Its way too small on the bottom left corner ... I'm constantly scrolling.
  • Rating & other fields arent working
  • Sub-Groups aren't working correctly

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2003, 05:25:32 pm »

General comments about the new view scheme...

* There is too much mouse moving around all over the screen for something was fairly simple before.

* There is too much text put up on the screen at one time.

* May be the new code, but is fairly slow to re-write even on my fast system.

* Seems to be counter-intuitive.

* May be too big a departure from the standard windows Explorer type of file management.

* Will require a lot of re-learning to break the left Explorer window habit.

Maybe I will get use to it... someday, but not today.

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2003, 05:40:42 pm »

Still getting the following error on playback and usually a Media Core crash afterwards.

"The Following VST plug-in failed to load: C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\(various vst instruments.dll)"
(pops up several times...each time for a different vst software instrument i have installed)

This also happens when I try to access the DSP studio.

Could you please make MC stop trying to scan my vstplugins directory for now so that I can listen to my music? Shouldn't it only be looking for DX audio plugins anyway?

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2003, 06:20:02 pm »

Another One...

It seems that if I have a song with the same name as a band, it appears under the band's list of song. Example, looking at all of the songs for Saga also displays the song Saga by Nusrat Fateh Ali khan.

jredders2

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2003, 06:27:03 pm »

The new columns can't be cycled to with Tab.  Makes keyboard navigation impossible...

-John

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2003, 06:28:04 pm »

I've also notices that using my aforementioned view scheme, Switching between artist takes a long (I mean LONG) time, up to 20 sec.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2003, 07:09:26 pm »

How close do you guys intend on copying iTunes?  I'm not really complaining here because I like the Apple style of file browsing but it just seems that this program is turning into a blatant iTunes clone.

As for bugs, it seems the Multiple Artists feature is broken.  I have quite a few VA releases and nearly all of them are now broken up and scattered by artist which is incredibly annoying.  It wasn't this way in 9.1.196.
Toast goes in the toaster.

nila

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2003, 07:57:08 pm »

Finding v9.1 a LOT slower and taking a LOT longer to draw than v9.

If I'm doing something else and then go back to MC I find it's taking MC a good few seconds to draw itself and as it's doing it it kind of is mixed in with the background looking like it's crashed.

I'm also finding the new menu method VERY slow and unstable. - presuming this is because its soo new - the look when no scroll bars are displayed as well looks very - ummm - ugly for lack of a better word.

It's also not at all user friendly or intuitive when using location view schemes and it is no longer possible to tell which folders have sub folders etc. In terms of this field at least it's definitely a big step back with the new method and I used to use location quite a lot :(

Still also having problems with my custom fields - they just aren't saving any data or updating any data no matter how I try to it - inline or via properties bar.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2003, 08:33:28 pm »

BUG/FEATURE?:
If you have a playlist group A and sub-playlists A1, A2, A3, selecting "all" for A filters out anything outside A1, A2 and A3. I feel that all should mean, this field is not used for filtering, it should not mean, all in A. If all in A is desired, that can be added to the search criteria of the filter. The problem can be overcome by adding a playlist "ALL" as a subgroup of A, without any constraints (all files).

SUGGESTION:
when the columns get small, some entries get partially visible. Tooltips on them should show the full entry.

SUGGESTION2: Some field names are long, "Auto Album (automatic)" or playlists with sublists. That's ok in defining view schemes but in the new browser, it would be nice to be able to rename field headers.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2003, 01:38:14 am »

REQUEST: Have an option in properties to save Cover Art in the file
Made in Portugal

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2003, 01:56:51 am »

I am going to download 9.1.198 now, however, I noticed that accidentally double clicking any of the controls (play, pause, volume, etc) in 9.1.195 cause the program to maximize/restore.  Will check it out in 9.1.198 as soon as it's downloaded.

-kiwi

edit:  The behavoir is the same for 9.1.198.  Double click the play, pause, volume, etc. and get maximize/restore.

dmbfan36

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2003, 07:16:12 am »

When you first start MC if you double click a file in now playing there's a HUGE lockup type pause... it takes a good 30 seconds for it to unfreeze and start playing.  

ok it actually seems to be the first time you try to play any file  via any means.... weather you browse the library or select something in Now Playing...

NoCodeUK

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2003, 07:27:04 am »

Yeah I have noticed this pause too although it wasn't 30 seconds here, more like about 10.  Also it will start a track, play the first second, stop buffer for a second and then carry on playing.  I don't remember this happening in the past, only the last couple of builds and especially noticeable in this one

Adam

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2003, 07:29:03 am »

Web Media
Most web radio stations I go to still don't play properly.  I've had this issue since I started using MC 9.  They sound like badly encoded MP3s.  I've posted about this a dozen times but never get a response on it.

CD Burning
Burning with "Decode files directly to CD" causes the one or both of the following errors:  Empty CD Text and MP3s that stop after 4-30 seconds.  Audo CDs will burn fine but usually lose any CD Text.
Toast goes in the toaster.

dmbfan36

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2003, 07:59:14 am »

although it wasn't 30 seconds here, more like about 10.

Yeah it seems to fluctuate... but its definitely at least 10... sometimes as much as 20 or 30....

Timmy_Yak

• Recent member
  • I am a Sexy Beast
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2003, 08:58:15 am »

Two things:
Still does double click max/restore

Cannot get to task bar when in auto hide.

One more thing:  Cannot resize the window. That pretty much coincides with the task bar issue.

Marko

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2003, 10:34:19 am »

plextor cd writer "write speed" not detected properly.
shows the write speed for cd-rw (10x) as the max speed, should be 16x for cd-r

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2003, 11:09:21 am »

All related to the new browser:

SUGGESTION1: there should be an easy way of removing all constraints, in tree view, you could that by colapsing and reopening the top node of the tree.

SUGGESTION2: mouse wheel should scroll the field that the mouse is on. Currently, you have to left click on a field, which counterintutively selects an entry that you don't neccessarily want to select. If you left click again, maybe because you try to deselect it, it gets into rename mode.

BUG:
if files in a playlist have been filtered by a previous filter, that playlist entry should not appear in its playlist group field.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2003, 11:19:32 am »

BUG / SUGGESTION:
I have a filter with 10 fields. (on a large resolution). I select <all> for each field. I go to playing now, when I come back, some windows have moved slightly, so that the selection for some fields is not visible. If you go to another view and come back, either the previous view should stay (better), or MC should try to focus to selections.

SUGGESTION:
in a large library (5000+ files), with 12 fields (some demanding smart lists), and in thumbnail view, although the filter performance is ok (1Ghz machine), especially while you are adding new filters (as opposed to removing), the initial creation of the view takes a lot of time (10-15 secs). I understand that this is unavoidable if there are changes that affect the view but if you go to playing now and come back, nothing has changed, the filters don't have to recalculate everything. Some caching might solve this problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up