INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zones disappearing and reappearing - loses playlist constantly! Help please  (Read 2630 times)

Tristar71

• Recent member

HI there everyone and the JR team.
I've an issue that is causing me much grief and is persistent and is not going away.
Before we start - spent a couple of days with version 24 and have to say it is the least stable on my system since I've been using since version19. That aside this issue is persistent with v23 and v24.

I have two PC's a specific audio PC and regular PC which I use to 'control' the audio PC. All the PC's are connected to my local network fine.
I feed the audio PC via the control PC - so the audio PC appears as a ZONE under the 'PLAYING NOW' section header. When I want to play some music through the hifi - i choose an album from JRiver and SEND TO 'audioPC' so the hifi / audioPC picks it up in my listening room.
PROBLEM
the zone for the 'AudioPC' under the PLAYING NOW header keeps disappearing and reappearing for no apparent reason. as it disappears, so does the album playlist - so it just stops when it gets to the end of the current song. The network is stable - I have no other issues with regards network performance or dropping out issues. Could someone suggest what I may try to do to identify WHY the zones or JRiver keeps dropping zonesx or other DLNA devices that appear under the PLAYING NOW header.

thanks

Tristar71

• Recent member

This is the device that keeps disappearing... Happens to all the other DLNA devices that appear under there too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You also mentioned stability as a problem.  The two problems are probably related.

What version of MC are you using?  Same on both sides?  In other words, are you playing to MC?

Windows 10?

Firewall problem?  SSDP may not be working.  I believe that's on port 1900.

You might try AndrewFG's utility to see what you can learn.

Tristar71

• Recent member

Thanks JimH
running same versions of JRiver - I think the issue started using 23 - can't remember having this in 22 - but as I can't diagnose - It may be something else entirely.. - all I can say is nothing else changed with the network setup.
Yes, both machines running same version, mainPC is running Windows10, audioPC is 'THEMEMORYPLAYER' using Windows Server2012. It used to play flawlessly without this issue.
I find it cuts out on average after only 2 or three songs, so when it does - playlist to the audioPC disappears - so stops playing

JimH

• Administrator

Try testing without Windows Server.  It's not supported.  Set up another machine to test if possible.

Tristar71

• Recent member

Thanks, Jim, but This doesn't just happen with the audioPC under the 'playing now' ...when the TV is on  - it shows the DLNA name of the TV, also I have a media box that shows on JRiver under the same heading... They ALL disappear... TV, Media Player, AudioPC - then reappear

JimH

• Administrator

If they all disappear, there is a problem with the network.

SSDP is blocked by the firewall, for example.

Or the router is misconfigured.

Or a machine on a wireless connection is losing the connection.

Try turning everything off, including all network devices.  Then power up the network.  Then computers, one at a time. 

JimH

• Administrator

Are you tweaking the OS on your machines?

Did you try AndrewFG's DMRA utility?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

Try using reserved IP addresses (via DHCP reservations on your router) for all servers and renderers..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Tristar71

• Recent member

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen, sorry Jim - I should have written - yes, I did try the renderer app - to check settings but it really didn't give me anything concrete or untoward that took my notice. - settings seemed to be all ok. The on my windows 10 machine isn't tweaked  - and given the fact that other devices other than the audio PC disappear too - can't pin it to that machine solely.

Andrew - thanks for your input too - I have set a afixed IP address for the renderer on the router - has been for a while - have had no issues with that and gives me the same IP every time...10.128.

Checked Firewall - and even turned it off to see if that resolved

I will go down the network side and see what I can discover - Jim, I'm not too sure what SSDP is - or why it would be blocked or even how I check - and if it is - to unblock it

Tristar71

• Recent member

Gents - Clearly there is a firewall issue - switched off the firewall and it stabilised... I'm trying to figure out what rule is stopping it - I've tried allowing everything I possibly can to allow JRiver access - seems fine - there must be something else - as you suggest Jim , if it's SSDP - I checked that the 'service' is running but as for finding  // allowing through teh firewall I'm at a loss.
suggestions welcome ?

JimH

• Administrator

SSDP uses port 1900.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

It’s not simply just a question of enabling port 1900..

The UPNP discovery mechanisms rely on UDP Multicasts and UDP Monocasts (albeit using a special multicast group IP address bound to port 1900). Turning on 1900 on your router will probably NOT fix the problem alone, as that would just imply opening 1900 for TCP/HTTP traffic, which won’t help you at all as far as UPNP discovery is concerned.

Instead / also you need to ensure that your router is set to forward UDP Multicasts and Monocasts. You also need to ensure that other devices like switches and WiFi access points do the same. Some manufacturers turn off UDP monocast and multicast routing by default, because they believe it protects the LAN or WAN from UDP “storms”..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

balky

• Junior Woodchuck

I have precisely the same issue since almost a month and have been keeping trying to find out what is going on.

I am running MC 25 in a docker setup and have the docker running for at least a year without any issue.

The DLNA renderer in my living room is a Marantz NA-6006.

As described above when controlling JRiver using JRemote on Android, only the first track plays, but when controlling the Marantz with its native HEOS app, everything works flawlessly.

The interface of the HEOS app is quite useless, otherwise I would have stopped using JRemote.

Hope there can be suggestions on what / where to look for.

Thanks. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up