INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More and more manufacturers give up UPnP support  (Read 1804 times)

SonicYouth

• Recent member
More and more manufacturers give up UPnP support
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:03:19 am »

Hi all, if you do not want to quit excellent JRiver Media Center (like me), the UPnP based hardware options seem to decrease. For example this is what Xuanqian Wang is saying about the AURALiC strategy:

"Both ARIES G2 and VEGA G2 no longer support UPnP based control software, it is only OpenHome compatible and you wont be able to control either of these through JRiver. We will only provide OpenHome compatibility for any future new products (and Roon for sure)."

(https://community.auralic.com/t/technical-questions-about-aries-and-vega-g2/1074)

Any idea what to do if I am both keen on JRiver MC and AURALiC Aries G2 (or Bluesound Node 2 or ... or ...)? I am slightly worried about the future-proofness of our media software.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: More and more manufacturers give up UPnP support
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:59 am »

Sounds odd to me as OpenHome is a UPnP extention - there have been discussions about this before FYI - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93866.0
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:26:28 am »

I'm not sure how you'd work your audio flow, but if it's JRiver to the Vega DAC, then how's this for an idea?

Get yourself an IdPi, whack a HAT on it with (say) a S/PDIF out and feed the Vega with the audio signal.

Each to their own but my pocket favours that sort of approach. At almost 1/50'th of the cost, there's at least a dollar incentive to skin the cat differently. How it sounds, that's up to the individual but there are an array of HiFi standard HATs out there to consider, e.g. HiFiBerry, Allo DigiOne, PiDesigns 502 DAC (and the list seems to be growing - one to research).

How it all networks, well that's admittedly a key point that I probably haven't understood for your system plan. Maybe if you described that aspect, you'll get sharper comment than my obtuse offering.

All the best.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

SonicYouth

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:37 am »

Thank you astromo for your reply. System plan: radically reducing boxes and cables.

Today: Music Workstation (Win10 PC running MC as server) -> (WLAN) -> network player (Win10 tablet running MC as bridge) -> (USB) --> DAC --> Amplifier --> LS.

Tomorrow: Music Workstation (Win10 PC running MC) -> (WLAN/LAN) -> network player/server (audiophile, streaming services, complete, e.g. no need for extra PSU) -> active LS.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 03:46:55 am »

Cool.

From what you've mapped out, my suggestion for a Pi in the mix should work for your Today plan and Tomorrow plan.

For Today, you'd use a digital transport HAT. For Tomorrow, you'd use DAC HAT. In the case of PiDesigns, the 502 DAC delivers in both modes. Whereas with the other makes I mentioned, you'd be doing a change out.

Just an option to consider. I'm applying a variant of your Today plan with an IdPi & HiFiBerry Digi+ HAT. In my case, I'm feeding the IdPi via a wired LAN connection. In your case, I'd expect you'd appreciate freeing up your tablet.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up