INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA over Ethernet streaming converted to MP3 [Solved]  (Read 5779 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA over Ethernet streaming converted to MP3 [Solved]
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:53:13 pm »

My music server is in a computer room at one end of my house; my audio room is at the other end.  I have Ethernet cable run between the two.  I stream to the audio room via DLNA over Ethernet.  There are four destinations available to stream to:

Oppo UDP-205 disc player
McIntosh MVP901 disc player
McIntosh MX201 processor
Samsung TV

If I stream directly to the Oppo via DLNA, I get PCM audio at the destination.
But if I stream directly to either McIntosh product via DLNA, I get "MP3-320" output showing as the audio format.

However, and this is the funny part - if I stream directly to the Oppo or the McIntosh MVP-901, and then use their coaxial digital S/PDIF outputs to send the stream to the MX201 processor, I get "PCM audio" showing as the audio format.

McIntosh has been unable to reproduce these results.  They claim that they always get PCM audio when that's what is sent.

So my questions are:

What's going on here? 

Why are the McIntosh components auto-magically down-converting my PCM streaming to MP3 (if I stream DLNA over Ethernet directly to them)? 

What's different about the digital coaxial S/PDIF input on the processor that allows IT to see PCM audio when I can't get the same from the Ethernet inputs?

Thanks - Boomzilla

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA over Ethernet streaming converted to MP3 by destinations
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:19:42 pm »

My music server is in a computer room at one end of my house; my audio room is at the other end.  I have Ethernet cable run between the two.  I stream to the audio room via DLNA over Ethernet.  There are four destinations available to stream to:
Check your DLNA server configuration in MC.
It will convert everything that isn't mp3 to mp3 by default.
You can fine tune it, add another server for a specific rendering device, etc.

If you haven't changed the stock settings my guess is that the Oppo is not telling the truth ;)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:42:21 pm »

Hi bob -

You're a genius! 

Using  "Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion"

I found my "conversion" option set (by default) to "convert audio if necessary."  I changed it to "Don't convert audio."

I found my "encoder" option set (by default) to "MP3 High Bandwidth."  I changed it to "PCM 16-bit."

Thank you kindly for the feedback!

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »

Hi again, bob.

Despite making the changes I listed, the destination devices are still (occasionally) reporting that they're playing MP3 instead of PCM.  Any idea why?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:05:04 am »

Hi again, bob.

Despite making the changes I listed, the destination devices are still (occasionally) reporting that they're playing MP3 instead of PCM.  Any idea why?

The option you changed is for streaming MC to MC as a library server client.
For DLNA devices, you need to change the DLNA server options in
Tools > Options > Media Network >Add or Configure DLNA servers.

Also, it will play mp3 of course if the source format is mp3 when you specify "Original Format"

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »

Thanks, Bob.  Will try that.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »

What I've tried to help identify the cause of my unsatisfactory sound is to move the streaming server to the music room, connecting the laptop directly to the DAC via TOSLINK optical cable.  This has eliminated most of the problem, and the system is now sounding pretty good.  The next step is to compare the original CD to the streaming rip.  I'm thinking that the sound should be very close!

If so, then what was the problem before?  Ethernet cable?  UPnP / DLNA over Ethernet protocol?  Something else?

I may have a fix, but I'm still far away from understanding why...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:03:00 am »

What I've tried to help identify the cause of my unsatisfactory sound is to move the streaming server to the music room, connecting the laptop directly to the DAC via TOSLINK optical cable.  This has eliminated most of the problem, and the system is now sounding pretty good.  The next step is to compare the original CD to the streaming rip.  I'm thinking that the sound should be very close!

If so, then what was the problem before?  Ethernet cable?  UPnP / DLNA over Ethernet protocol?  Something else?

I may have a fix, but I'm still far away from understanding why...
The difference is the UPnP / DLNA over Ethernet protocol. It's got a lot of options and can take some tweaking depending on the rendering device.
You should however be able to get it working the way you want. There is a lot of flexibility in how you can setup the MC DLNA server and the zone controller options to send files to the DAC over DLNA.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:07:33 pm »

Yes, JRiver MC24 offers a lot of options (as did previous versions of MC), but many of the options just don't work.  I've asked JRiver to rip at 1x - it accepts my choice, and saves the change - then goes ahead and rips at (seemingly) any speed that it feels like (from what I've read, this may be a hardware issue with the drive that JRiver is innocent of, so take this complaint with a grain of salt). 

I've tried customizing my Media Server and again, JRiver accepts and saves my changes, but doesn't seem to implement them.

My conclusion is that the KISS method is the best choice for my JRiver for Mac install. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:45 am »

Yes, JRiver MC24 offers a lot of options (as did previous versions of MC), but many of the options just don't work.  I've asked JRiver to rip at 1x - it accepts my choice, and saves the change - then goes ahead and rips at (seemingly) any speed that it feels like (from what I've read, this may be a hardware issue with the drive that JRiver is innocent of, so take this complaint with a grain of salt). 

I've tried customizing my Media Server and again, JRiver accepts and saves my changes, but doesn't seem to implement them.

My conclusion is that the KISS method is the best choice for my JRiver for Mac install.
Newer drives will often prevent setting the speed manually. I've run into this before with many drives and different software.
I understand the desire to set the speed to increase the odds of an error-less rip, I used to do that myself, as  well as when writing a disc but it seems to be coming to be less and less of a possibility.

You probably know this already but when customizing the DLNA server (Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers) you can set the conditions under which files are sent as well as apply DSP effects to them. You can create multiple servers to serve the capabilities  of different DLNA renderers. Then to tie a specific renderer to a server (if you are pushing material to it) right click on the zone in MC's tree and choose the controller option to associate with a specific server.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 05:48:54 am »

Hi Bob -

Yes, I've used the DSP section before after doing room measurements to flatten frequency response.  But never having had multiple zones or servers, I've never tried the additional options you describe.

Since the equipment rack in the listening room is REALLY full with having the server computer, its power supply, the RAID box, its power supply, video cables to the flat-panel display, USB cables to the Oppo, a ripping drive with its power supply, and a RAID backup drive with its power supply all taking up shelf space, I may try again with DLNA over Ethernet.  Getting that server computer OUT of the listening area makes things cleaner and has greater WAF since the room is a dual-purpose living and listening room.

Thank you for the coaching and I'll spend some quality time with the Wiki looking for server configuration options.  If I can prevent down-conversion to MP3, I'll have what I really need.

Boom

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA over Ethernet streaming converted to MP3 [Solved]
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:29 pm »

Bob's suggestions on configuring the DLNA server seem to have addressed the problem.  I told it not to convert and to use the native file format.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 10:42:49 pm »

Boomzilla,

How do you configure to pass through with no conversion?

Thank you...
Ron

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 02:38:07 am »

Customize the DLNA server (Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers).  You can set the conditions under which files are sent.  It isn't easy to find, but if you fiddle about enough, a setup sequence will become available for your server, and some options are in there.

doctorjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2023, 03:30:32 pm »

I'm having the same issue-when I use JRiver to stream from my PC/external drives to my player on another floor (Technics SACD player that streams), my high resolution files become mp3. I went into settings as instructed, I set audio conversion to "Do Not Convert", but in the encoder section I only see 3 MP3 options (Low Bandwidth, Medium Bandwidth, and High Bandwidth). I can chose high bandwidth, but I still see mp3, not 24/196 FLAC being played on my system. I know this was posted a while ago; I do have the latest JRiver. I'm not sure what to do next, help would be appreciated.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2023, 04:06:13 pm »

I'm having the same issue-when I use JRiver to stream from my PC/external drives to my player on another floor (Technics SACD player that streams), my high resolution files become mp3. I went into settings as instructed, I set audio conversion to "Do Not Convert", but in the encoder section I only see 3 MP3 options (Low Bandwidth, Medium Bandwidth, and High Bandwidth). I can chose high bandwidth, but I still see mp3, not 24/196 FLAC being played on my system. I know this was posted a while ago; I do have the latest JRiver. I'm not sure what to do next, help would be appreciated.
Did you configure the DLNA server as in the post above yours?
There are also the same options in other places, for example when your computer is being used as a Media server client, so make sure you are in the right place.

doctorjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2023, 11:43:18 pm »

I went in, selected it and selected format PCM 24 bit. Very late now, I'll check it tomorrow.
Thanks for the quick response!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2023, 10:37:50 pm »

I went in, selected it and selected format PCM 24 bit. Very late now, I'll check it tomorrow.
Thanks for the quick response!
I would just set it to “original format”. Shouldn’t need to convert 24/192 flac
Pages: [1]   Go Up