INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get YouTube TV to actually play the video shown?  (Read 2225 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I get YouTube TV to actually play the video shown?
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:40 am »

Not sure how to explain this - but here goes.

I open Streaming in Standard View and start the "You Tube TV" service. It logs me in and displays some videos from my subscribed lists.

The top row in this YouTube view has three videos shown and I can see the top part/edge of other videos in the second row. I can't scroll down (no scroll bars) and if I use the mouse roller it just exits the program.

How do I play the video

When I click on a video, it brings up the Player screen (I see the Play Doctor box) on the top half and the bottom half shows a play button with title "Cross-Enter". The path shown is "https://www.youtube.com/s/tv/html5/154e6e80/sound/cross-enter.mp3" - which does nothing if I try to play it.

I'm using a Dell laptop running Windows 7 x32, and MC 24 (latest version).  Under Tools>Options>Tree & View>Web Browser it is set to Engine: Chromium. I tried Internet Explorer but that gives me an error with You Tube - with that setting I get message "YouTube is not supported on this Device". Not sure why, as I have used You Tube TV on this device (laptop) before.  At least with Chromium Youtube loads properly, just wont play.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I get YouTube TV to actually play the video shown?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:16:58 am »

Try ctrl-click on the video, then play in player.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:12 am »

Jim, "YouTube TV" wont play, I tried your suggestion and several other attempts. Regular "YouTube" works.

The file ("cross-enter") that appears to be what is being played, is shown as an mp3 file.

I captured a small log of trying to play a YouTube TV video.
Maybe someone can take a quick look and see if there is an obvious cause.

EDIT: I may be misunderstanding what "YouTube TV" is.
After googling "YouTube TV" it looks like it is a paid subscription service ($40/month). I thought it was a sort of Theater View version of regular YouTube. I don't have a subscription - and regular YouTube works - so that must be the reason.

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 02:17:35 am »

EDIT: I may be misunderstanding what "YouTube TV" is.
After googling "YouTube TV" it looks like it is a paid subscription service ($40/month). I thought it was a sort of Theater View version of regular YouTube. I don't have a subscription - and regular YouTube works - so that must be the reason.

There is youtube tv (not free) and youtube.com/tv (free/no subscription needed), two different things. The latter is what MC is using if you tell it to use youtube tv. It is the same thing other devices like Roku use for youtube as well. If you google youtube tv yes you seem to only get results for their paid service.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 06:34:50 am »

Thanks for explaining  that. So then the YouTube TV in MC won't play on my laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:34 am »

There is youtube tv (not free) and youtube.com/tv (free/no subscription needed), two different things. The latter is what MC is using if you tell it to use youtube tv. It is the same thing other devices like Roku use for youtube as well. If you google youtube tv yes you seem to only get results for their paid service.
Do we need to provide a way to use both TV versions of Youtube?

justsomeguy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:54 pm »

Personally I don't care about the youtube tv subscription service. It's not like the "youtube" everyone thinks of. It's for actual tv channels like Fox, espn etc... guess they are trying to compete with Dish Network or Directv now.
I would like to see it accessible through theater view though.

justsomeguy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:08:56 pm »

Thanks for explaining  that. So then the YouTube TV in MC won't play on my laptop.

Does it work if you go to www.youtube.com/tv in a browser like firefox or chrome?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »

The YouTube "TV" version (non-subscription version) works fine from within MC24 on my desktop computer - it just doesn't work with my laptop.

dmast

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 01:51:15 pm »

Hi Jim, I cannot get YouTube/tv to play in JRiver either. All of the other streams work perfectly.  I do have a paid subscription, and when I open the YouTube/tv stream, it indeed appears to have signed me in because I see all of my preset choices (Library, etc.) Additionally, all of the choices have thumbnails that have active video in them, just like when I play it through my browser.

When I click on one of the thumbnails to play it however, it expands to full screen, and I get the loading circle, which is turning, but the stream never loads.  I did try the Ctl-click, but that didn't help.

In answer to your question, I am only interested in playing this through JRiver if I can get all of the video processing activated (MadVr, etc) so I can engage Madshi's wonderful up-scaling choices.  I am hoping the combination of his efficient algorithms plus being able to hardware accelerate, will help smooth out the stuttering I get with YouTube/tv sports presentations.

-E-

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »

Yes, please.

The paid YouTube TV service is spectacular, and if incorporated within MC would be a huge plus for cord-cutters or HTPC enthusiasts - especially if it worked within Theater View.
Pages: [1]   Go Up