INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver Only Playing Stereo From Non JRiver Media Sources  (Read 1009 times)

twgehr

• Recent member

When Windows went to 1803 update don't get 5.1 output from WDM Driver when the source is something other than JRiver Media Center. For example, from Direct TV online, or YouTube channels. This worked before. Please advise. Thanks so much.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM Driver Only Playing Stereo From Non JRiver Media Sources
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:53:34 pm »

Do you have the WDM device configured for 5.1 in Windows?

twgehr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:48:20 pm »

Yep it is. Please see attached file w/screen shot.

twgehr

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

Any more ideas on this? WDM was useful, but now does not seem to work. Thanks so much.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:08 pm »

It worked before? Are you sure MC wasn't upconverting or something? Are you testing with exactly the same sources?

I don't know the answer, just more questions, but...

It can be a bit of a challenge when the source can't be put into Exclusive mode, such as with YouTube and I suspect DirectTV, although I saw a comment that DirectTV was beta testing 5.1 Channel support. Windows DirectSound can get in the way, even if the WDM Driver is set to 5.1 Channels I suspect.

Try with a known 5.1 YouTube sample like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL9-sIZRDHg and see if you can get it to work. Note that as far as I know YouTube only supports Stereo, and so only encoded audio will produce multichannel audio, such as DTS in this sample or Dolby Digital. So the source (YouTube) is Stereo, MC receives Stereo, decodes that to 5.1 Channel, and will show 5.1 Channel in the Audio Path inside MC.

I'm not at my 5.1 channel system at the moment, but might have a look later using that sample above.

Also, you may want to Google "does youtube support 5.1". You will find some interesting reading.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:20 pm »

I got around to testing it, and multichannel support still works as expected with 5.1 or 7.1 inputs.

However: I was testing this using another video player (mpc-be) to play a 7.1 movie.
YouTube does not support 5.1 audio - only stereo.
I don't have DirectTV, but most web audio is only stereo. If it supports 5.1, you likely have to use the Microsoft Edge browser.

Try with a known 5.1 YouTube sample like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL9-sIZRDHg and see if you can get it to work. Note that as far as I know YouTube only supports Stereo, and so only encoded audio will produce multichannel audio, such as DTS in this sample or Dolby Digital. So the source (YouTube) is Stereo, MC receives Stereo, decodes that to 5.1 Channel, and will show 5.1 Channel in the Audio Path inside MC.
The video they uploaded may have been 5.1, but the audio track on YouTube is stereo.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:02:26 am »

I haven't checked properly, but I think DirectTV on Firefox using HTML5 supports 5.1. Any flash based web video will only support stereo of course.

Also, I think the YouTube test video I linked to is stereo, but DTS encoded, so MC can decode to the full 5.1 channels. I haven't tested properly, but MC Audio Path showed I had 6 channels when playing the video via the WDM Driver, from YouTube in Chrome.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:28 am »

Also, I think the YouTube test video I linked to is stereo, but DTS encoded, so MC can decode to the full 5.1 channels. I haven't tested properly, but MC Audio Path showed I had 6 channels when playing the video via the WDM Driver, from YouTube in Chrome.
It's not DTS encoded - that would be destroyed by YouTube's conversion process even if it was originally.
MC's audio path will always show 6 input channels if the device is configured as 5.1 - but only two of them will be playing anything via YouTube (or most web sources).

twgehr

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:56 pm »

Yes using MC WDM to upconvert from stereo to 5.1. It worked before the recent Windows 10 upgrade. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks so much for the replies.

RD James

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 05:14:02 pm »

If you want it to upconvert, make sure that Output Format is configured for 5.1 and JRSS is enabled.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:05:37 pm »

My workstation updated to Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) after I posted above, and I see that Microsoft has completely changed the Sound Device arrangement and how settings are changed. So I wouldn't be surprised if they change something under the covers in how it worked. It took me a while to even find the Audio Device configuration dialogues again.

Anyway, the way you used to have your sound set up, it was Windows DirectSound that was upconverting to 5.1 because the WDM was set to 5.1, I believe. Not the best way to upconvert. MC upconversion is much better.

So do as RD suggests, and take in Stereo from the WDM into MC, then upconvert inside MC using the settings he mentioned.

BTW RD you were correct, as usual, and the YouTube video was 2 Channel AAC audio. MC was showing 6 Channels when I had the WDM set to 5.1, and 2 Channels when I had the WDM set to Stereo. So Windows was doing the upconvert and the source was just ordinary stereo. That still works now after the Windows update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up