INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing DSD 256 Files resets DSP Sample Rate for 352,800Hz & higher to 176,400Hz  (Read 3754 times)

sejrednets

On a 2015 Mac Book Pro, running the latest OS High Sierra 10.13.4 to an ifi Nano iDSD BL DAC

In both MC 21.0.92 and MC 24.0.25 (latest builds for both)

DSD 256 files -specifically Cannonball Adderley Quintet Live in Stuttgart, purchased from HDTracks as a DSD 5.6Mhz

DSP Studio > Output Format
    Output Encoding = None
    Sample Rate Output = No Change for all Input sample rates

When I play any of the files
    Source = 705.6 kHz 64 bit 2 ch
    Internal = 176.4 kHz 64 bit 2 ch

When I close and re-open DSP Studio, all of the DSP Sample Rate Output for 352,800Hz & higher are set to 176,400Hz.

If I set DSP Studio > Output Format
    Output Encoding = DSD in DoP format (or 2xDSD or 4xDSD)

Then when I play any of the files
    Source = 705.6 kHz 64 bit 2 ch
    Internal = 705.6 kHz 64 bit 2 ch

This only happens when I play DSD 256 files.

When I play DSD 128 (stereo or multi channel), or any PCM files of any sample rate this does not happen.

I only have the one DSD 256 album (see above), so I cannot reproduce this with any other albums, but it happens on every track.

I am running MC21, and installed MC24 to see if it solved the issue, but to no avail.

I have uninstalled and re-installed both versions, both by overwriting the file and by deleting the app file and installing.

I have quit/restarted/set the DSP Studio settings to None/played/Reset to DSD/etc. Dozens of times so far.

I have tried multiple settings, including setting the Options>Audio>Audio Device to both (Default)[Core Audio] and the DAC (iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio Output [Core Audio] )

I am at a loss. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.
-Eric

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe

Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Auto configure output settings on playback error is probably enabled.

If you want to play DSD files untouched, you should be enabling DSD bitstreaming, not DSD encoding.
Bitstreaming passes the audio directly to the DAC.
Encoding converts all files to PCM (if they are not already) so that Media Center can apply DSP, and then converts from PCM to DSD for output to the DAC.
With DSD files, that means you have a DSD > PCM > DSD conversion, which you probably don't want. If you convert to PCM at any stage, the audio is best left as PCM.
And all DSD editing other than cutting requires a PCM or "DXD" conversion stage, so virtually no music stays DSD from recording to playback.

Caution: bitstreaming disables all processing - including volume control. So the files may play loud.

My general recommendation would be to never purchase, bitstream, or convert to DSD however.
The only exception would be if the track is not available in another format. There are some multichannel SACDs that are not available in other multichannel formats like DVD Audio for example.
1-bit audio has inherent distortion that is not present with multi-bit PCM, as a minimum of 3 bits is required to fully dither digital audio.

sejrednets

Wow!  :D
And Wow!
I have spent hours on this and that one suggestion fixed it for me.

Thanks RD!

billF

• Recent member

This is an old thread but I can't help saying thanks to RD James for the very clear and helpful setup tip.  I was just (two years later) having the same issues as the original poster with JRiver changing my new DSD128 and 256 albums back to 176k.  At first I was so disappointed with the sound of the DSD256 I had purchased at NativeDSD.  Then I saw the output settings had changed.  I made both recommended output changes and am as pleased as can be.

Anyway, a thanks very much for the help.

8-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up