INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about genres  (Read 804 times)

omaha

• Recent member
Question about genres
« on: May 18, 2018, 07:11:51 pm »

I have a few hundred albums, a couple of dozen of which are Christmas music. I currently have everything in the same library. The only time the Christmas music gets played is during the holidays. That's not a big problem, but during the non-holidays I really don't want to be listening to Christmas music when I let JR play random selections.  What is the best way to isolate a genre?  Should I place it into a separate folder and keep that folder in a separate library? The problem I see with this is that, during the holidays, I may also wish to listen to non Christmas music and would have to switch back and forth.  How do you guys handle this?

Thanks,

O

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question about genres
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:21:47 pm »

If you have the tracks tagged as Christmas, you can do a search and exclude them by adding a minus sign.  For example:

Frank Sinatra -Christmas

omaha

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:08 pm »

Thanks, Jim.  I'll try that.

O

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:55:51 pm »

There is a tag called Playable. You can select all the Christmas tracks and uncheck Playable for each track. Then, at Christmas reset the tags to playable.

You could also create a custom  View that has all the genres except Christmas and another View that includes Christmas. Then just select the appropriate view. Or you could create a separate View for just Christmas and only select it when you want to play Christmas music.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:58:38 pm »

I use a few different Smart Playlists and exclude “Christmas” and a few other Genres that I don’t want to hear on a regular basis.

Carl

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:44 pm »

I used to use Genre, but it was inadequate.
I now have a Custom Field and use it to exclude such tracks as long drum solos, talking and ads, britpop, or disco, as well as Christmas.
Of course it needs setting up, but that's the fun bit  :)
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up