INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many files: What to do?  (Read 903 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Too many files: What to do?
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:29 pm »

Now that I have 40,000 compressed music tracks in my collection, I can foresee a time when my hard drive (external 2TB) is full. It's true that I have a lot of albums that I don't really play much--let's say about a third of my collection. But I don't want to delete them. I also have a lot of Christmas/Holiday albums that I really only play for a max of one month out of twelve. Question: What would be the best way to move these lesser/almost never played albums over to another drive? Once I have them all on a separate drive, can I just plug that drive in and use two drives simultaneously with JRiver?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Too many files: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »

i use quite a few multiple drives

you can:
- move them with RMC tool
- move them with windows (same exact folder structure) and use RMC to point to them
- move them however you want and re-import

i generally use the second option myself, it's easy to point to the new location but i prefer moving large batches with windows based utilities

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:13 pm »

Another easy option is just to buy a larger external drive and clone the old to the new, or just copy the files. Then all your files stay together, no fuss.

I prefer to use the RM&CF function in MC, since it does it all. But up to you.

Then you could use the old drive as a backup drive perhaps.

You can get individual internal drives up to 12TB now (last time I looked), and external drives in housing up to 10TB. Have a look at the options.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:10:22 am »

I prefer to use the RM&CF function in MC, since it does it all. But up to you.

RMC does NOT move subfolders and my experience with ancillary files has been lukewarm at best. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:33:38 am »

RMC does NOT move subfolders and my experience with ancillary files has been lukewarm at best.

Correct. It moves the files that you select using a View or Playlist. The files can be from any sub-folder, which MC knows, and RM&CF puts them into the folders and sub-folders that you tell it to, based on the rules that you set in it. Which means that it can omit sub-folders or change the folder structure into which files are placed if you use different rules to the original structure. It doesn't move empty folders of course, as it only moves files. So you can lose an empty folder in a structure, but not an intermediate folder, empty or not, if the rules require it. Plus it does update the MC library at the same time that the file is moved, so it isn't lost and an extra step isn't required.

Ancillary files can be a bit of an issue, but a lot has changed in recent versions. For my uses the ancillary files I do have get moved, because I don't have any non-standard ones.

Of course, if just changing to a larger drive, which is for the sake of discussion drive M:, then cloning or copying the whole file structure from the old drive to the new drive using tools outside MC, and then setting the new drive as drive M:, is probably quicker and will produce the exact same file structure, and so work with MC straight away when it is restarted (because it shouldn't be running when doing such a copy).

Otherwise, I use it a lot with no issues, mostly moving files from a full disk to one with more space. Essentially archiving Movies, TV shows and recordings from their designated TV recording drive to another drive, if I want to keep them. I actually use it with standardised templates (Presets) to standardise the folder structure and naming I use I use in my library, for those files that aren't already in standardised structure and format.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up