INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encoding to MP3 always fails  (Read 1306 times)

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
Encoding to MP3 always fails
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:10:57 pm »

Hello -

I was using MC22, and I found that I was unable to Convert Format to MP3. (This was seldom a problem because I don't create MP3 files for my own use; I usually rip CDs to Ogg-Vorbis or FLAC, and MP3 playback worked just fine, but occasionally for the sake of giving music to other people I like to convert to MP3, and it wasn't working.)

I figured there must be some misconfiguration, but instead of taking the time to troubleshoot the problem, I figured I might as well just upgrade to MC24; I assumed that a fresh install would take care of the problem.

Well, it's still broken. I can't create MP3 files in my fresh install of MC24.

Do I need to seek out and download the .DLL file for the LAME encoder in order to get it to work? Are there instructions somewhere on how to do that?

When I try to transcode to MP3, it just struggles for a while, and then says "Conversion complete". If I click on "Details", each file has a status of "Failed".

If I go to Options...Encoding and try to change the default encoder (for either File Conversion or CD Ripping) to "MP3 Encoder", I get a dialog box that says "Adding required components...MP3 encoder", which freezes up my system for a little while, and then changes to "There was a problem loading the selected encoder. The default encoder has been automatically selected".

What's the next step here?

Thanks in advance,

Solomon

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Encoding to MP3 always fails
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:15:12 pm »

Oh, some further information about my situation: I live on a ship in international waters, and the satellite-based internet is very slow and intermittent. It's possible that Media Center is trying to download something and giving up. Therefore, if I can download it myself (I won't give up as quickly!) and place the files in the appropriate place, that might solve the problem. So, what files do I need and where do I need to put them?

Solomon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:30:05 am »

It's likely that some security software on your machine is preventing the download.  A firewall, for example.

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:49:20 am »

I solved the problem: I downloaded the latest 64-bit LAME package (from http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/, for example), I copied "lame.exe" into "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 24\Plugins", and then I re-started MC. Now everything works.

(JimH: there's no special security or firewall software on my machine. It's just that the satellite-based wifi where I live causes all kinds of problems. I do wish that MC's error messages were a bit more informative, but if they were then where would be the fun of problem-solving? ;) )

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 08:21:39 am »

there's no special security or firewall software on my machine. It's just that the satellite-based wifi where I live causes all kinds of problems. I do wish that MC's error messages were a bit more informative, but if they were then where would be the fun of problem-solving? ;) )
glad you got it worked out....If your running windows 10, 7.... at least the US version there is security software. If you have hacked it somehow good for you!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up