INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is It Possible to Lose My Movie Media Files?  (Read 747 times)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
Is It Possible to Lose My Movie Media Files?
« on: May 25, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »

Newbie David here, Just downloaded the Trial V24 of MC to see if I like it, have not used it yet!  I have about 3500 movie files scattered on 7 external HD's.  I don't want to play these movies with MC24, I just want to have them all in a database so I can see what I have.  All of my movies are titled with Name and Year  (Example Beauty and the Beast (2017) format. Included with each movie is a JPG of the movie poster named in the same format as the movie file.  I'm worried I may click on a wrong button and end up erasing some of my files.  Is this possible?  MC24 would give me a warning 1st I hope!!  Tks for any help!!

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: Is It Possible to Lose My Movie Media Files?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:34 pm »

When you delete something it will normally only delete it from the database.  Not the media file itself.

If you hold "Shift" and hit delete it will pop up with 3 options with the "Full Delete" (I.E. remove media file) as the selected option. As long as you don't continue from there...  No deleted files.

The other 2 options btw are "Remove From Media Libray" (No Delete), "Remove From media library and send to recycle Bin" (Obvious).

Hope that helps.

Carl

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:14:35 pm »

Thanks for your response very much, I will try out this software on this weekend, I've heard alot of nice things about it!  David

When you delete something it will normally only delete it from the database.  Not the media file itself.

If you hold "Shift" and hit delete it will pop up with 3 options with the "Full Delete" (I.E. remove media file) as the selected option. As long as you don't continue from there...  No deleted files.

The other 2 options btw are "Remove From Media Libray" (No Delete), "Remove From media library and send to recycle Bin" (Obvious).

Hope that helps.

Carl

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:23:48 pm »

I don't want to play these movies with MC24

If just want database … why not use free stuff like Kodi or Plex (or better still Excel lol) … though having use Kodi, Plex and MC, I am sticking with MC for best video quality (and 3D)

Still keep Plex around mainly for sync music to mobiles over wifi (and on smartTVs where still have no budget to get MC box)

PS. MC audio is way better than Plex and Kodi :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:06:52 pm »

I have tried Kodi and Plex, I like the fact that with MC24 I can have a grouping of movies by year (With each year showing at the beginning of the grouping).  I have a lot of movies from the 20's Thru the 70's and can't seem to be able to do that with Kodi or Plex!!  Tks for your help, DN

If just want database … why not use free stuff like Kodi or Plex (or better still Excel lol) … though having use Kodi, Plex and MC, I am sticking with MC for best video quality (and 3D)

Still keep Plex around mainly for sync music to mobiles over wifi (and on smartTVs where still have no budget to get MC box)

PS. MC audio is way better than Plex and Kodi :)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:02:32 pm »

I have tried Kodi and Plex, I like the fact that MC24 I can have a grouping of movies by year (With each year showing at the beginning of the grouping).  I have alot of movies from the 20's Thru the 70's and can't seem to be able to do that with Kodi or Plex!!  Tks for your help, DN
wouldn't playlists solve that on plex? I'm not familiar with kodi.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up