INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalizing Files That May Have Already Been Normalized  (Read 528 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Normalizing Files That May Have Already Been Normalized
« on: May 31, 2018, 02:22:05 pm »

I have about 8000 tracks in my audio library. I normalized some of them several years ago. I don't know if I should normalize them all.

What is the advantage is of normalizing, and what happens if I normalize a file that has already been normalized?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Normalizing Files That May Have Already Been Normalized
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:55:30 pm »

I would never normalize tracks, as the tools for it have improved over time, going from simple peak level normalization to ReplayGain, to R128 volume leveling.
Media Center can analyze your library (which will take some time) and write its analysis as tags to your media files, without altering audio data.
You can then enable the Volume Leveling DSP during playback to automatically level it (or alternatively enable peak level normalization).
This is a much better approach as it never alters the original audio file, only tags. So if something better comes along, you can use it instead.
That some tracks have already been normalized shouldn't matter, though it would be best if they had not been.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »

I have about 8000 tracks in my audio library. I normalized some of them several years ago. I don't know if I should normalize them all.

What is the advantage is of normalizing, and what happens if I normalize a file that has already been normalized?
MC will decide if they need to be re-analyzed by MC so it can't hurt....If you are speaking in the past, analyzed by MC.... RD is the zen master and his answer is correct.

EDIT: and are we truly talking about normalize or analyze.....big difference here
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:31:00 pm »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up